ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Got Snow?

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ah, Glacier is the best! Didn’t go there much, but the mountains there are amazing.
I hear those electrical pipe warmers tend to break down at the most inconvenient times. And my pipes are in the wall. I guess I could insulate them better.
This is what I use around the outside of both homes to help insulate
Blocks 100% of the wind, and precip. Not sure how you would be able to use it for plumbing issues, if you could.
I use a full sheet on the inside porch door going into the kitchen of the farmhouse and it keeps all the heat inside the kitchen from escaping out to the porch. Also have it on inside of all the windows.
... but several years ago I had the water disconnected because of freezing pipe issues and the house is (mostly) vacant now.

djg james

djg james

ArboristSite Guru
The only thing I can say about pipes in the wall is to put a heat lamp on the pipes where they come out of the wall with the faucet open and hopefully the heat will migrate upwards. Next time tell your tenants to leave the faucet dripping overnight.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
The only thing I can say about pipes in the wall is to put a heat lamp on the pipes where they come out of the wall with the faucet open and hopefully the heat will migrate upwards. Next time tell your tenants to leave the faucet dripping overnight.

yes, I do that already, but this house never had any issue before, and this is my first winter with the airbnb.

turns out the pipes at the rental were inside the house, but underneath the kitchen cabinets. We opened the bottom drawer and found there was no bottom to the cabinet. Placed a space heater in there and had it fixed in 20 minutes.
tenant called me a genius!

stihl023/5

stihl023/5

Addicted to ArboristSite
Billings. 1974 until I graduated HS in '89. Folks are still there in the same house. We usually get back there every year to do some hiking and visiting.

Looks like we have a couple inches on the ground now, hopefully more to come. 2 degrees at the moment. Enough for an enjoyable morning. I have some good gloves and those little chemical toe warmers. As long as my ears, fingers and toes are warm enough, I'm good to go. Looking forward to lots of shoveling today.

My airbnb had frozen pipes last night. I put a couple firewood pallets against the outside wall, some sleeping bags over those, and a painters tarp over all that and fastened it to the wall with some nails and lath. Put a little space heater down at the bottom. 2 hours later the pipes were flowing again. Yay!

But one of my normal rentals has the same problem, but only with the hot water. I may have to do a similar trick, but that house has vinyl siding, so I don't want to screw/nail anything to that. Temps aren't going to rise any for a few days, so I should do something. Any ideas?
These pipes are on an outside wall?

OM617YOTA

OM617YOTA

ArboristSite Guru
We got our asses kicked bad. Power, internet, and cell coverage went down Friday. Cell coverage just came back, everything else is still down. Still lines down all over, although most of the roads have been cleared. Power company says power back tomorrow, but they've said that every day and there are more than a dozen lines down within a mile me. I don't believe it.

Pic of the mirror is from the trip to take my girlfriend to the doc - appointment cancelled when we were nearly there. Ice the entire way.

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_071300.jpg
    IMG_20210213_071300.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210213_070505.jpg
    IMG_20210213_070505.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210213_070315.jpg
    IMG_20210213_070315.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210212_063742.jpg
    IMG_20210212_063742.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210213_104918.jpg
    IMG_20210213_104918.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
We got our asses kicked bad. Power, internet, and cell coverage went down Friday. Cell coverage just came back. Still lines down all over, although most of the roads have been cleared. Power company says power back tomorrow, but they've said that every day and there are more than a dozen lines down within a mile me. I don't believe it.

Pic of the mirror is from the trip to take my girlfriend to the doc - appointment cancelled when we were nearly there. Ice the entire way.
OMGosh, that looks horrible.
We had some icing and snow here the past couple of days, but nothing near as bad as what you had.
Be careful.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
We got our asses kicked bad. Power, internet, and cell coverage went down Friday. Cell coverage just came back, everything else is still down. Still lines down all over, although most of the roads have been cleared. Power company says power back tomorrow, but they've said that every day and there are more than a dozen lines down within a mile me. I don't believe it.

Dang! I hope they get everything up and running again soon. Wowza.

Reminds me of the winter of '96 in Nebraska. We had a very early snowfall - all the leaves were still on the trees, and it was a LOT of wet and heavy snow. First I heard of it was in the middle of the night when I woke to a huge BANG on the house. I thought a drunk driver hit the house, so I ran out to get a license plate. It was a large (VERY large) tree branch that landed on the roof. The snow was falling hard, and there were several inches on the ground already. It was a normal quiet night, except for one thing - the sound of branches breaking all over the place. And it wasn't a few - it was like being in a stadium hearing hundreds of people clapping.

I went to my neighbor's house to borrow a hand saw to try and relieve the pressure on another branch that was hanging very heavily over the power lines to my house. Took a while to wake him up, but he loaned me the saw and was amazed at what was going on.

Everyone lost power, either from the main grid, or through neighborhood lines, or from their own lines being ripped from their homes, like mine eventually was. It was surreal to drive around in that - 1 lane of traffic with droopy trees, piles of snow and broken branches everywhere. Simply incredible.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dang! I hope they get everything up and running again soon. Wowza.

Reminds me of the winter of '96 in Nebraska. We had a very early snowfall - all the leaves were still on the trees, and it was a LOT of wet and heavy snow. First I heard of it was in the middle of the night when I woke to a huge BANG on the house. I thought a drunk driver hit the house, so I ran out to get a license plate. It was a large (VERY large) tree branch that landed on the roof. The snow was falling hard, and there were several inches on the ground already. It was a normal quiet night, except for one thing - the sound of branches breaking all over the place. And it wasn't a few - it was like being in a stadium hearing hundreds of people clapping.

I went to my neighbor's house to borrow a hand saw to try and relieve the pressure on another branch that was hanging very heavily over the power lines to my house. Took a while to wake him up, but he loaned me the saw and was amazed at what was going on.

Everyone lost power, either from the main grid, or through neighborhood lines, or from their own lines being ripped from their homes, like mine eventually was. It was surreal to drive around in that - 1 lane of traffic with droopy trees, piles of snow and broken branches everywhere. Simply incredible.
Things happening like that make me wonder why we dont bury more power lines. I live back a long private, but shared, lane. Mostly surrounded by woods. They sent the power lines through the woods then splits in front of my place and runs off the the neighbors on either side. When we moved in, we were on gen power roughly 10days a month. Every storm event would take out the line. It's gotten better as property owners and met ed have started clearing around the lines, but most of the issues could be avoided if the lines were buried. Only saving grace for me, is my line us buried from the pole to the house. So many neighbors have had their services ripped right off the exterior of their homes.
Oh and uncle, if you can get at those pipes in nice weather, that electric heat tape may be a decent method as well. Just wrap the pipe in it, set it on a thermostat and leave it be.

OM617YOTA

OM617YOTA

ArboristSite Guru
We're still without power.

Friday night, like Unc said listening to branches breaking all around us, I knew my little Tecumseh generator wasn't going to handle what was coming. Just getting through my neighborhood was an adventure, and I only got 100ft out of my neighborhood before I realized how stupid it was to be doing this in my car, turned around and went back. Grabbed my truck with a saw and recovery gear - wish I'd had a GoPro on the front of the truck. Made it out and bought one of the last four Honda generators at Coastal supply. The rest sold while I was there. They had a couple pallets of Champions and they probably sold half of those while I was there.

That little Honda is now on day 5 of running pretty much continuously, between the fridge and freezer during the day and some medical equipment for the girlfriend at night. Hasn't missed a beat. I've changed the oil a few times and kept fuel in it. I checked the spark plug at the ~100hr mark and it looked good. I have spares.

We're very fortunate. Our standard heat is with a wood stove which requires no power, and I collect camp stoves and lanterns as a hobby. We have plenty of beans and rice and Spam on hand. After 2020 anyone who doesn't isn't paying attention.

Two major changes for next time. First is that the next time a generator big enough to run the well pump comes my way, I'm keeping it instead of flipping it. Second is communications. No internet, cell coverage, or landline phone, sketchy travel, and a medically fragile girlfriend was sobering. Her work phone had the ability to text the whole time, so we might switch to that carrier, and also getting the HAM license got bumped way up the list. Will look into a landline phone as well.