ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Got Snow?

ElevatorGuy

ElevatorGuy

What are you doing with the wood?
We're still without power.

Friday night, like Unc said listening to branches breaking all around us, I knew my little Tecumseh generator wasn't going to handle what was coming. Just getting through my neighborhood was an adventure, and I only got 100ft out of my neighborhood before I realized how stupid it was to be doing this in my car, turned around and went back. Grabbed my truck with a saw and recovery gear - wish I'd had a GoPro on the front of the truck. Made it out and bought one of the last four Honda generators at Coastal supply. The rest sold while I was there. They had a couple pallets of Champions and they probably sold half of those while I was there.

That little Honda is now on day 5 of running pretty much continuously, between the fridge and freezer during the day and some medical equipment for the girlfriend at night. Hasn't missed a beat. I've changed the oil a few times and kept fuel in it. I checked the spark plug at the ~100hr mark and it looked good. I have spares.

We're very fortunate. Our standard heat is with a wood stove which requires no power, and I collect camp stoves and lanterns as a hobby. We have plenty of beans and rice and Spam on hand. After 2020 anyone who doesn't isn't paying attention.

Two major changes for next time. First is that the next time a generator big enough to run the well pump comes my way, I'm keeping it instead of flipping it. Second is communications. No internet, cell coverage, or landline phone, sketchy travel, and a medically fragile girlfriend was sobering. Her work phone had the ability to text the whole time, so we might switch to that carrier, and also getting the HAM license got bumped way up the list. Will look into a landline phone as well.
One of those little Honda’s? I have a 7500 watt generac and wouldn’t be able to run that long without getting more gas. I keep 10 gallons on hand but that would only last a day or two.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
We're still without power.

Friday night, like Unc said listening to branches breaking all around us, I knew my little Tecumseh generator wasn't going to handle what was coming. Just getting through my neighborhood was an adventure, and I only got 100ft out of my neighborhood before I realized how stupid it was to be doing this in my car, turned around and went back. Grabbed my truck with a saw and recovery gear - wish I'd had a GoPro on the front of the truck. Made it out and bought one of the last four Honda generators at Coastal supply. The rest sold while I was there. They had a couple pallets of Champions and they probably sold half of those while I was there.

That little Honda is now on day 5 of running pretty much continuously, between the fridge and freezer during the day and some medical equipment for the girlfriend at night. Hasn't missed a beat. I've changed the oil a few times and kept fuel in it. I checked the spark plug at the ~100hr mark and it looked good. I have spares.

We're very fortunate. Our standard heat is with a wood stove which requires no power, and I collect camp stoves and lanterns as a hobby. We have plenty of beans and rice and Spam on hand. After 2020 anyone who doesn't isn't paying attention.

Two major changes for next time. First is that the next time a generator big enough to run the well pump comes my way, I'm keeping it instead of flipping it. Second is communications. No internet, cell coverage, or landline phone, sketchy travel, and a medically fragile girlfriend was sobering. Her work phone had the ability to text the whole time, so we might switch to that carrier, and also getting the HAM license got bumped way up the list. Will look into a landline phone as well.
Sounds like you have a solid plan in place for the future. Been stocking more shelf stable foods at the house. Well more then usual. I've found it's important to cook with sine of the stuff from time to time for 2 reasons, some of it doesnt taste like you'd expect, and keeps the rotation a bit fresher. Wish you the best of luck getting through this mess.

ElevatorGuy

ElevatorGuy

Sounds like you have a solid plan in place for the future. Been stocking more shelf stable foods at the house. Well more then usual. I've found it's important to cook with sine of the stuff from time to time for 2 reasons, some of it doesnt taste like you'd expect, and keeps the rotation a bit fresher. Wish you the best of luck getting through this mess.
My sister was in my basement last week and asked me if that was my bunker do to the canned food supply. This China virus really changed my outlook.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
My sister was in my basement last week and asked me if that was my bunker do to the canned food supply. This China virus really changed my outlook.
I think it changed a lot of people's perspective. I've been doing the "prep" thing for a wile.(no bunker's or such silliness) Seen massive shortages on shelf stable foods, and prices go through the roof. Never hurts to have a supply on hand to get you and loved ones by for a wile. Make sure you have an easy way to obtain and purify water too. Many over look that.

OM617YOTA

ArboristSite Guru
One of those little Honda’s? I have a 7500 watt generac and wouldn’t be able to run that long without getting more gas. I keep 10 gallons on hand but that would only last a day or two.

Yep, one of the little 2200's. Burning right around 2.5 gallons/day, running 24hours. I keep 5 gallons of non-ethanol premium w/ a double dose of Stabil on hand, but haven't had to dip into that at all, have been able to get gas even if it was a trek. Nevertheless, I'll be bumping up that fuel storage. We also consider half tank to be "empty" for the vehicles, and the girlfriend's spare car has a full tank we could dip into. The big genny would only be run enough to refill the well pressure tank a couple times a day and that's it.

Truck is a diesel(see my username) and will burn about anything, including the ~50 gallons of kerosene I have on hand. One of the stations I stopped at was out of gas, but they had diesel.

We've been halfway preppers for awhile. Easier and cheaper to buy stuff by the case, and we have the room. A big rule for my preps is that they have to improve our lives even if the world keeps spinning as it always has, as it almost certainly is going to. Buy the food we use anyway just in large quantity, we were already stocked up on TP and paper towels when the shortage hit, couple years of firewood already on hand, etc.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yep, one of the little 2200's. Burning right around 2.5 gallons/day, running 24hours. I keep 5 gallons of non-ethanol premium w/ a double dose of Stabil on hand, but haven't had to dip into that at all, have been able to get gas even if it was a trek. Nevertheless, I'll be bumping up that fuel storage. We also consider half tank to be "empty" for the vehicles, and the girlfriend's spare car has a full tank we could dip into. The big genny would only be run enough to refill the well pressure tank a couple times a day and that's it.

Truck is a diesel(see my username) and will burn about anything, including the ~50 gallons of kerosene I have on hand. One of the stations I stopped at was out of gas, but they had diesel.

We've been halfway preppers for awhile. Easier and cheaper to buy stuff by the case, and we have the room. A big rule for my preps is that they have to improve our lives even if the world keeps spinning as it always has, as it almost certainly is going to. Buy the food we use anyway just in large quantity, we were already stocked up on TP and paper towels when the shortage hit, couple years of firewood already on hand, etc.
Canned meat is what I find the hardest to cook with, but if me and the kids cant eat it, it doesnt stay. No point in having things you dont want to eat.

OM617YOTA

ArboristSite Guru
We don't mind the Spam so much and the canned chicken is pretty awesome, and we eat a decent amount of rice, but beans are difficult for us to use. I'm also aware that it's not a good idea to radically change one's diet during an already stressful situation, but a lot of what we normally eat just isn't storage friendly. We stocked up anyway, as I'd rather change my diet than not have anything at all. If we wind up donating it to a food bank at some point and replenishing, having never actually eaten most of it ourselves, so be it.

ElevatorGuy

ElevatorGuy

I think it changed a lot of people's perspective. I've been doing the "prep" thing for a wile.(no bunker's or such silliness) Seen massive shortages on shelf stable foods, and prices go through the roof. Never hurts to have a supply on hand to get you and loved ones by for a wile. Make sure you have an easy way to obtain and purify water too. Many over look that.
I never thought about a big supply. We do buy the 2.5 gallon jugs 3 or 4 at a time and cycle through the older ones. I have had them leak on my shelves too, that sucks. You have something particular for water purification? I have a creek out back if it came to that.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
I never thought about a big supply. We do buy the 2.5 gallon jugs 3 or 4 at a time and cycle through the older ones. I have had them leak on my shelves too, that sucks. You have something particular for water purification? I have a creek out back if it came to that.
I have a spring for fresh water. It starts right off the edge of my property. We have a few different types of straw style filters. I've been looking at larger units, but the cost is prohibitive right now. I also keep a bottle of water purification tablets on hand. Makes the water smell and taste like city water, so not keen to use them unless I have to.

OM617YOTA

ArboristSite Guru
We have the Sawyer filters. Very important to research and understand what they'll filter out, and more importantly, what they won't. The Sawyer's won't filter viruses or chemical type nasties.

We keep non-iodine water treatment tablets (a close friend is allergic to iodine) and a couple gallons of bleach on hand. Guess the camp stove fuels and firewood could count too, boil for treatment.

Store a bit too. We don't drink the well water, so we have 5 gallon jugs that we fill in town, keep 25 gallons on hand.

I also have two full 55 gallon drums, treated with bleach and stashed in a corner of the garage where they won't freeze.

Lastly, I cut one of the gutter downspouts high enough up so that a 5 gallon bucket can be placed under it. Been using that water for flushing the toilet, and dishes after a few drops of bleach and some settle time. Will probably be adding an IBC tote to this setup at some point in the future.

Would also like some of the P&G flocculant/disinfectant packs, especially for the get home bags, but haven't wanted to pull the trigger on the large quantity I've found to order. Need to get together with a few others and make that happen.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
Typing all that out and re-reading it now, it strikes me as kinda ridiculous. Seems fine and completely reasonable now, though. That's a lot of peace of mind for a total investment that was under $100 and a couple hours time.
Your not crazy. At least I dont think so. I like the IBC tote idea.

1Alpha1

100% USDA certified abnormality-free.
It's as beautiful as can be here. (N. AZ.) Bright and sunny out, and as calm as could be. I should have gone for a m/c ride today, but I hadn't planned on one.

I'm hoping that it holds out into the weekend. Got some things done that needed to be done. Just a couple of things for tomorrow, and then the weekend is wide open. :cool:

OM617YOTA

ArboristSite Guru
Power's back! Tomorrow would have made a week without.

Flushed a toilet without having to haul water, and washed my hands with hot water at the touch of a faucet. Out-effing-standing.

Still have stuff to do, this weekend will be some trigger time on the Stihl and a goodly bit brush dragging and hauling, plus getting a tree company out to get some other hazards on the ground where I can deal with them.

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
Things happening like that make me wonder why we dont bury more power lines. I live back a long private, but shared, lane. Mostly surrounded by woods. They sent the power lines through the woods then splits in front of my place and runs off the the neighbors on either side. When we moved in, we were on gen power roughly 10days a month. Every storm event would take out the line. It's gotten better as property owners and met ed have started clearing around the lines, but most of the issues could be avoided if the lines were buried. Only saving grace for me, is my line us buried from the pole to the house. So many neighbors have had their services ripped right off the exterior of their homes.
Oh and uncle, if you can get at those pipes in nice weather, that electric heat tape may be a decent method as well. Just wrap the pipe in it, set it on a thermostat and leave it be.
Not buried because its 9x as expensive to install. And repairs in the conduits can be brutal as well.
I worked in a neighborhood a couple of years ago that had buried power, and they had some sort of problem. There were several large diesel towable diesel generators parked in various people's driveways chugging away.

SS396driver

SS396driver

To much wood
We lose power often guess that's the price ya pay for living in the mountains . I have a 8.5k Cummins Onan gas genny . It runs pretty much everything but the heat (electric) unless I only use one register at a time . Not a prep'r per say but we have more than enough to eat for a few weeks easily . I keep 15 gallons of non ethonal gas on hand but all 4 of my trucks are kept full over the winter so another 80 plus gallons the 85 has dual tanks.

Even if I ran out of fuel I would still have heat and fresh water . My drinking water comes out the side of the mountain runs 24/7 never has it frozen up,excess runs out to the creek . This is the cistern holds about 400 gallons .

20200301_155322(0).jpg