Got the 35HP Vanguard on the SC252

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a used 222 back in 94 and never looked back. I eventually installed a Command 25. Over the years Ive replaced the pillow block bearings, clutch and both V and Cog belts. Just recently rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel pump. Plenty of low end grunt. Still runs like a brand new machine and makes me money!

Also , I updated the cutter wheel belt from "V" to cog style. Made a noticable difference. My 222 is a small light machine. Much smaller than the 252. Even better for getting into narrow places. I'm glad it didnt sell it!!

Last edited:
So how are the vanguards doing? as soon as I find the time I'm bolting one on. What welding is needed? Can you not just take the Plate off the 25hp and drill the holes out to fit?

Stumper63: That -1118 seems to come without a muffler
Did the - 0130 come complete w/muffler ?
Or what did you use?

Plyscamp: Thanks for the info . Finding out the pump# info is gold. Mine is already whining .. Now , I'll just have to bite the bullet on the clutch.

Thanks to both of you guys for the info
Stan
Are you still active? I am doing this mod to my Sc252 and would like to ask you a few questions, thanks!

NCGrinder

As far as I know the only source for the clutch is Vermeer and believe me I have gone as far as the factory Rep trying to find a source. The real key to clutch life is cooling. I modify my clutch covers to allow as much air flow as possible.

The Hydraulic Pump is a Danfoss part # 29YBADO12-2LB. The last one I purchased was in Dec. of 2004. Vermeer wanted $329.00 + Tax. I went to the Danfoss Dealer in town and paid $231.00 and that included the Tax and Air Frieght.
I am doing this mod now on my Sc252, can I ask you some questions? Thanks!

NCGrinder:
I know what you mean, my 25 Kohler still won't die, but now I wish I had done the conversion a few years ago.
Anyway, the Briggs model # is 613477-0130-E1. Here's the stat's from website psep.biz:

35 HP - Vanguard Series OHV V-twin, cast iron cylinder sleeves, multi-stage industrial air cleaner, 12 volt electric start, 20amp alternator, 1-7/16" x 4-1/2" Keyed crankshaft D/T 5/8-18, Manual throttle, push / pull choke, key switch, 5" round muffler (starter side outlet), has fuel pump, no tank,

I bought mine from Small Engine Warehouse, but it looks like they are out of stock of them. They do have a 613477-1118 that looks like it has the same spec's, but you better check.

I am using the stock 252 clutch.

Anyway, have fun!

Stumper63
Doing this Mod on my sc252, can I ask you a few Questions? Thanks!

Back