Got the 35HP Vanguard on the SC252

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was considering putting that 35 hp b & S motor on my Rayco 1625a sjr when my 25 kohlor dies.

Has anyone done a engine mod on a 1625 rayco?

No but I feel like I just 'stole' an rg1635 with the 35hp vanguaard and 116 origianal hours for $7k! Had to stick an additional $500 into it for repairs (apparently it was dumped on its side by previous owner and then just sat for 3 years so we had to replace carb and a few other parts). She runs like a charm now. I also put greenteeth on it and niow have upwards of $8k into a $16k machine. Has some really nice features that my sc252 didn't including 2-speed travel, variable swing speed and hydraulic steering. Very stoked to put it to work this spring!

What makes it even better is I sold my '04 sc252 with 500 hours for $7,000 so I only had to put up another $1k for the upgrade.

AP

Guys,

I am looking for this engine to buy in Europe as US suppliers don't ship to Europe. Pitty, cause this engine is about 850 dollars more expensive over here... :-(

Another issue is that I have no idea about the crankshaft measurements.

What is 1-7/16" x 4-1/2" Keyed crankshaft D/T 5/8-18 converted into millimeters? And what means D/T ?

1-7/16 = crankshaft diameter
4-1/2 = length of crankshaft past engine case
d/t = drilled/tapped
5/8-18 = bolt diameter and threads per inch for end of crankshaft

Hope that helps

Stumper63

In mm it would be ABOUT 36mm in diameter and 113mm long

The threaded hole in the end of the crank is ABOUT 15mm diameter

We have a lot of metric sized things here in the US even though it isn't our standard. I can get metric sized
parts like pulleys, shafting, bolts, nuts, and other hardware fairly easy. I lived in Germany during the mid 70's and it was almost impossible to locally get inch sized items like hardware when I was there. You may be better off in the long run getting a metric sized engine, even at the higher initial cost.
Rick

Thanks guys!

Another question:

I think the kohler is charging the battery in the original configuration, correct? Where you guys able to connect the same setup with the Vanguard?

Secondly, I have to fit the solenoid against the flywheel somehow, otherwise the operator controls won't work. Does anybody have experience with this?

Guys, I need some help.. I started the conversion this morning but found out that late 2008 sc252 has a Kohler with 1-1/8 crankshaft. :-(

I never measured my crankshaft before I ordered the new Engine, since I read on this forum I had to get the 1-7/16 version..
Ok, bit too late...can't swap the engine for 1-1/8, so I guess another clutch is my only option.

Can one of you guys with the older sc252 please check which type clutch is on yours?

stumper63, here's an idea. How about writing the whole conversion procedure out along with a few pics. Convert it to pdf, title it "Vermeer sc252 engine conversion to Vanguard 35 hp" and post it here. That way the whole world will have access to your genus and will be a better place for it. One can't ask for much more than that.

That's not a bad idea CalTreeEquip. However for the old makes sc252's the information here is quite easy to get and clear. The only thing that misses and where it went wrong for me is that there were no serial nrs / manufacturing dates given along with the technical data.

My 2008 sc252 is very different from the earlier models and maybe different from current makes.

When switching engines always check your shaft diameter and length as well as the mounting bolt patterns.
That's basic, serial numbers would not have done you much good.
Besides he has only done this once and we know it wasn't on a 2008.
You'll probably need to get a new clutch, that should be a problem.
I would think a heavier duty clutch would be in order anyway.
Good luck with yours.

I'm about to go to Vermeer in an hour to get a new clutch. Finally they are open again after a two full weeks close for x-mass holidays! Can't understand that policy and leaving customers waiting for so long. Yesterday they couldn't give answers answers on supplies as they were so busy bc work had piled up so high.

Anyway, there seems to be a clutch in stock now that i'm going to get. That one has 38mm. I shall update my findings lateron on the conversion.

Don't worry about the clutch, it can handle it. Got over 1200 hours with the Vanguard, clutch has zero issues so far.

If I had some time it would be nice to put a "book" together, but don't have it now. Besides, Plyscamp is the first one I know of to do this and so gets the credit. I met him down in SanDiego and he showed me his machine and it inspired me to do it. Been smiling ever since.

Stumper63

Well when you have the time it will be great to have that info out there. The two of you can work on it together, 1/2 the work.

Hi guys,

I have been doing just 100 hours since my 35HP engine upgrade and guess what...my new clutch is already gone! I don't understand it as I did do the burnishing thing over 50 times before I started using it. The clutch is designed for upto 35HP. Anyone else with upgrade experienced this problem?

CalTreeEquip, you may be right a bigger clutch is better.

However analyzing the failure and reading on this website about ogura clutches, I feel this is what happened: I was grinding close to a wall and because of this I wanted to be very carefull, therefor I had my engine running half gas. Suddenly a big piece of root got stuck between the cutterweel and instantly blocked it while the engine nearly bogged but kept running for nearly 3 or 4 seconds before I noticed what was going on. I think these 4 seconds was enough to burn the surface of the clutchplates.
Likely the root wouldn't have gotten stuck if I had been running full throttle bc of the mass of the wheel. Expensive lesson..

Yesterday, I went to the workshop of my mechanic. In his sparetime he eventually managed to open clutch with his press. He told me after opening he could see the plate of clutch was broken in two, and that had been the cause. Looks like I was just unlucky, after only 100 hours.

Has anyone done these mods to the Rayco Super Jr. 1625? Mine is in good shape, but if that motor ever pops I am not going to bother with a 25hp motor.

Also, the OP mentioned the gear change on the axle, I would love to make this machine travel across a yard a bit faster, does anyone know if there is a bolt on sprocket for my Rayco?

Last edited:
Back