Granberg Break-n-mend - can it work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckwood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Model G605C, anybody ever try to use one of these? I was a bit skeptical but bought one anyway. I'm a skinflint, they don't cost much compared to pro rivet spinners and removers. Well, I can't get the thing to work, it's built like a vice-grip tool, supposedly you can dial the thing in and punch out a rivet. Well, I tried for at least an hour (I'm a stubborn dude) and gave up, got out a die grinder and ground both the rivet heads off on both sides, but this tool couldn't even punch out a rivet with the heads ground off. I adjusted and adjusted it and finally gave up, I was hoping this tool could save me driving time going to saw shops and having my chains made. Is there anyone out there that has ever managed to use this tool successfully? I've not even tried the rivet spinner part of the tool - does that work or is this tool a total loss?

I hope you get an answer: I have wondered myself.

I am kinda at the cusp of deciding whether or not to spring for a spinner and punch: I know you can find some for around $50 each, but quality (Oregon, for example)models are much higher. At my use level, a $100 pair would pay for itself in a couple of years, and I could justify having friends hang around (and bring refreshments!) to do for themselves!

But if the lower-end models aren't up to the task...

I break and make dozens of chains each year with the Granberg tool. I find it works very well. When you go to break a chain center the punch and adjust it so the handle will close after 1/2" or so of travel. Then open the tool slightly without losing contact with the chain and crank the adjusting screw to get another 1/2" of travel and so on. It takes more time to desribe it than to actually break a chain.

I have one too and they work well. I've made and broke many chains with it, just takes a little elbow grease. The directions aren't real clear, but they give you an idea. Just make sure your DL is resting on the anvil and the tie strap is not and the punch is centered over the rivet. Start with the adjustment bolt farther out then try it, then screw it in more till you get the punch through the rivet. Sometimes you have to switch to the rivet next to it before you get through cause the strap will fight you. Eventually you'll figure out where to have the adjustment bolt set to get break it with one snap. Spinning can be a PITA sometimes, use a little motor oil on the rivet.

Ever since I joined this site I've realized I need a video camera. The wife had been talking about one for christmas and I wasn't too keen on it, but after joining I may need to re-consider. Mainly so I can "prove" that I've done anything. Like everyone says no pic or vid, never happened.

So to answer your question, no I will not make a you tube vid, at least not til sometime in January maybe. Ha! Ha! You think the wife will let me take in the woods to tape some tree felling footage?

Secret is.. You are never going to punch the rivet out.. It is not how these tools work. You are only trying to push one side of the rivet head out. The tie strap goes with the one rivet head.

I never got mine to work right. Dad gave it to me, I gave it back. I do it "manually" with a hammer, punch, angle head grinder, and a piece of railroad tie.

I've had several, they work good, but not my favorite way to break & spin a chain. They fit nice in a pack though.
You have to set it up right for the chain you're breaking, get the punch centered on the rivit, and take little bites pushing the rivet out.
If you're trying to just punch the rivet out in one bite............It ain't gonna happen.
The one I have now is "sprung" a little, so it's a pain in the butt to use.

Andy

I've had several, they work good, but not my favorite way to break & spin a chain. They fit nice in a pack though.
You have to set it up right for the chain you're breaking, get the punch centered on the rivit, and take little bites pushing the rivet out.
If you're trying to just punch the rivet out in one bite............It ain't gonna happen.
The one I have now is "sprung" a little, so it's a pain in the butt to use.

Andy

I started this thread. Thanks for all the replies, guys. It seems my technique, patience, and possibly my eyesight is lacking. I'm probably not getting things lined up perfectly and not adjusting the tool properly. I'll try again with the spinning part but it seems a die grinder, punch, and anvil is the easiest way to punch out a rivet. The Break-n-mend has two adjustable anvils that must be set precisely, otherwise the rivet has nowhere to go. That's probably where I'm doing it wrong. This tool starts hurting your hands after a while, constantly squeezing the thing with all the force you can put on it. There's gotta be an easier way to do this aside from buying the $300 rig the saw shops use....

I started this thread. Thanks for all the replies, guys. It seems my technique, patience, and possibly my eyesight is lacking. I'm probably not getting things lined up perfectly and not adjusting the tool properly. I'll try again with the spinning part but it seems a die grinder, punch, and anvil is the easiest way to punch out a rivet. The Break-n-mend has two adjustable anvils that must be set precisely, otherwise the rivet has nowhere to go. That's probably where I'm doing it wrong. This tool starts hurting your hands after a while, constantly squeezing the thing with all the force you can put on it. There's gotta be an easier way to do this aside from buying the $300 rig the saw shops use....

If it's hurting your hands, that's definately one of your problems. Back off the adjustment screw in the end of the handle a little, and push the rivet out a little at a time. You may have to tighten the adjustment screw 4 or 5 times before you get the rivet pushed out, but it will do it.

Andy

Back