Granberg EZ rails leveling rods unscrewing mid-slab - what should I do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coltree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm fairly new to csm. Went after this 15" hickory today:

20180908_192029.jpg 20180908_192020.jpg 20180908_192306.jpg 20180908_192136.jpg 20180908_192037.jpg 20180908_192328.jpg 20180908_192319.jpg
My first cut was not completely level, so I put the rails back on to get it the rest of the way level. It's my first time using the EZ rails. Half way through my cut, I looked at the EZ rail and noticed that one of the threaded rods used to level it was spinning. I looked around and saw that 3 others were spinning. Needless to say, the rails were way off level. My cut dipped on the powerhead side by about an inch and stayed level on the other side. I also noticed that my winch line scooted to the middle of the mill. Not sure what was causal...

Another issue I'm having is milling fine dust instead of chips. I'm touching up granberg ripping chain after each cut with a pferd-style stihl sharpener - 6 strokes per tooth. If anyone has tips I'm listening.

Let me know what I need to do to get this hot mess corrected.

Hi folks, I'm fairly new to csm. Went after this 15" hickory today:

View attachment 673724 View attachment 673725 View attachment 673726 View attachment 673727 View attachment 673728 View attachment 673729 View attachment 673730
My first cut was not completely level, so I put the rails back on to get it the rest of the way level. It's my first time using the EZ rails. Half way through my cut, I looked at the EZ rail and noticed that one of the threaded rods used to level it was spinning. I looked around and saw that 3 others were spinning. Needless to say, the rails were way off level. My cut dipped on the powerhead side by about an inch and stayed level on the other side. I also noticed that my winch line scooted to the middle of the mill. Not sure what was causal...

Another issue I'm having is milling fine dust instead of chips. I'm touching up granberg ripping chain after each cut with a pferd-style stihl sharpener - 6 strokes per tooth. If anyone has tips I'm listening.

Let me know what I need to do to get this hot mess corrected.
IMG_20160929_112222.jpg
After trouble with the granberg rails I switched to extension ladder section held to log with strap style pipe hangers. First cut setup varies log to log; some a notch or two in the crown on the fat end. Other times wedges are used to stabilize before screws are applied. Make sure the screws are long enough to hold well while short enough to not be in the path of the chain. I carry a selection of screws and three sizes of pipe straps the smallest 1 1/4" size. OR use lock nuts above or below the rail on each screw In above pic the clamp is left side of top rail on log, the other is right side just under the tube that run across the Alaskan
At the top of page CS milling 101 sharpening with BobL as author will give as good a description of how to make chain shadows you can find anywhere IMHO
Stay safe while you enjoy learning this craft

I just put a nut on each screw and tighten it after I level it.

I use a tight string along the rail to ensure it is straight. Only way to get a good 20’ cut.

Setup takes longer than cutting.

Back