Granberg vs Skip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J D

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
All other things being equal, how does Granberg compare to semi chisel skip tooth @ 10° (speed, efficiency, finish, etc). I'm looking to take a bit of load off my 390XP when milling with a 36" bar & not sure which to try. Cheers.

I don't know about Granberg but there was a noticeable improvement when I changed from regular chain to skip on my 390. Much less strain - I guess because of chip clearance. 390 likes the 36' chain now.

I have had the tail end of the bar get "hammered" & damaged a bit by the chain.
I tracked that to not wedging my wood often enough, and often not tightening the chain enough.
One of my saws has to be pulled out a bit from the mill to tighten the chain, and I find I hate doing it when I probably should, so it only gets tightened between cuts.
Most times this is fine, but with a new chain it can be an issue sometimes.
I haven't ruined a bar, or chain this way yet, but it is noticeable when this happens & done cumulatively will certainly make for an expensive lesson.

Yes, I meant rocking the saw back and forth when it is not cutting well - not rocking of the chain in the bar; which should not happen with a relatively tight chain and an undamaged bar
Ok just wondering as there is also rocking of the teeth no matter how tight the chain is. Sometimes there is a wave type action of the chain that can make or give the feel that the bar is rocking back and forth as a wave builds and then smooths out.

I have had the tail end of the bar get "hammered" & damaged a bit by the chain.
I tracked that to not wedging my wood often enough, and often not tightening the chain enough.
One of my saws has to be pulled out a bit from the mill to tighten the chain, and I find I hate doing it when I probably should, so it only gets tightened between cuts.
Most times this is fine, but with a new chain it can be an issue sometimes.
I haven't ruined a bar, or chain this way yet, but it is noticeable when this happens & done cumulatively will certainly make for an expensive lesson.

yeah, unstretched, new chains can kinda suck when milling.

Generally speaking I try to get a few crosscuts on a chain for initial stretching before I run the chain in a mill. I start with a 30-35 degree skip chain; cross cut a bit. Then file it back 5 degrees in the shop. Cut some more, then file it back 5 degrees and then start milling with it. I sharpen at same angle in the field and file back 5 more degrees when I get in the shop after a day of milling.

i mill best around 15 degrees on my cutters. I know others go down to around 10 degrees but cut efficiency and quality just seem to come together best FOR ME at 15 degrees.

Back