Grapple bucket root rake, etc. Please help choose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesupra

Mainer
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a grapple of sorts. I know there is no one size fits all so I am asking for a little help deciding.

I am looking to use the grapple to pick up construction debris, brush and tops, rocks, stumps (not digging out), firewood logs and occasional saw log. I also envision using the grapple to assist in cutting of firewood. I have a set of forks that will continue to serve me well when working around the saw mill and a backhoe for actual digging.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS BASED ON MY NEEDS, or if you have ANY other recommendations.

I would like to stay around sub $1200.00

The styles that seem to interest me the most so far are.
http://www.skidsteerattachmentdepot.com/product/bobcat-heavy-duty-stump-tooth-bucket-grapple-2/

http://www.skidsteerattachmentdepot.com/product/60-root-rake-clam-grapple/

http://www.skidsteerattachmentdepot.com/product/66-dual-cylinder-solid-bottom-bucket-grapple/

stump : rock.jpg flat bottom.jpg clam.jpg

This is what i have. Its a virnig v50 i believe with just a single grapple. Its works awesome to grab a log or even whole tree from the base and hang straight out and limb or buck off the ground. We use it for rocks and brush and even cleaning the pen pack in the barn. Made our tracked skid steer even better!
75c30b3df8d6493da63a53590592f1e5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I just came across that brand. Mind telling me what a grapple like that runs for price? Did you have is shipped?

$2500 5 years ago now. We have a local dealer that sells that brand. So no shipped just rolled in one day and bought it. Virnig is probably the toughest brand we've used we have a rock bucket also. They take some abuse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

What machine is this grapple going on?

Out of the three you linked the middle one would be the most versatile imo. The first one is really for stumps. The last one would not allow dirt and debris to fall if handling brush or dirty logs as well as the open style.

It's going on a bobcat ct335 tractor. It's the same as a kioti dk35. 38hp 4x4. With a stupid lift capacity. It lifts the rear tires off the ground without issue. They are loaded with with 30 gallons each of windshield washer fluid and with my winch on back I think the winch weights around 750lbs

I have a Kioti NX4510 with a 60" Worksaver grapple. 45 hp, 2800 lb full height lift capacity. It normally wears a 72" HD bucket. At first the 60" grapple size sounded small. After using it for awhile, I have to say it matches the tractor nicely. I think your machine would do fine with a 60" or a 66". The biggest differences between open grapples seems to be top grapple setup and bottom grapples are either a C shape or an L shape.

So my tractor uses a 66" bucket and I originally was thinking of going with a 60" grapple. After talking with Owen at everything attachment he thought a 66" would be a good fit. It's about 50lbs heavier

Outdoorsman what's your take on width. I am hearing allot of people say go narrow on a grapple 48-60". I see you have a 66" if you had to do it over again would you stay 66? Also what was the cost of your grapple if you don't mind.

The only time I sometimes think it would be nice for narrower is when moving really curvy leader wood. Sometimes with a lot of curve, it's tougher to grab the piece and have the grapple times close on enough wood to pick the piece up. This may never be a concern for most people.

I like having the width for scraping overgrowth and cleaning brush piles and the leave/twig debris after doing removals.

mesupra, I've had lots of buckets, grapples and forks. Only real advice you need is that you should never buy one without trying one out and using it for what you intend to do. If you search my name you will find lots of pics of my attachments. I had the 3rd one of yours pics in a 66" width, it was useless and I sold it fairly quickly. I have the stump grapple and like it for stumps but the grapple is actually in the way most of the time. I use it for planting trees and it's great for that. Useless to load logs as the logs get caught on the side teeth when you try and unload them. Plus the fact that it is so narrow that if you pick up a log and have it heavy at one end it puts a lot of strain on your loader arms. I also have your 2nd pic except it is the demo version and it is too heavy even when it's empty.
This is my driveway on a normal basis. I sell a bit of stuff. This was a few weeks ago, I think 3 pcs are gone now.
IMG_20170721_165159.jpg IMG_20170721_165210.jpg

Outdoorsman I appreciate the information. I'm actually lea ing toward the 60" right now.

Cantoo do you feel the second bucket (clam root grapple) would be decent for construction debris, tree tops brush and firewood sticks. I'm on a bit of a budget and I know no one tool will do it all perfectly but only have the funds for one. I've been getting by with forks and a bucket for a long time.

mesupra, the clam will work decent as long as it's the lighter one like you have shown. One downfall is that they really don't open far enough to get much brush in them. I found that lifting it high, opening it wide and going down on the pile to grab a bite does a better job that trying to plow into it and scoop like a bucket. That just pushes the pile ahead of you. I likely have over 20 buckets and very seldom use the ones that have grapple arms on them. I use hay fork styles for brush, it's the 2nd one from the left in my pics, and is gone now.

Split firewood will fall through my grapple.

When I go to grab brush, I plow into the pile a bit, then raise and curl forward until above, then push down and close the grapple. Works best for this setup.
Grapples that open more prob won't have to do this, but the weight savings of this grapple is a big plus

Here's mine, running a 72" tomahawk double cylinder grapple. Works great and I haven't had any issues... I believe it was $1400-1500 new, can't remember off hand..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
a5088bf371c4bc975555362fc289e496.jpg

I ended up placing a order for the root rake clam grapple which was the last one pictured in my first post. I went with the 60" version after reading about grapple widths. Should be in sometime the end of next week. I got a pile of work lined up. I'll try and remember to do a quick product review

mesupra, I've had lots of buckets, grapples and forks. Only real advice you need is that you should never buy one without trying one out and using it for what you intend to do. If you search my name you will find lots of pics of my attachments. I had the 3rd one of yours pics in a 66" width, it was useless and I sold it fairly quickly. I have the stump grapple and like it for stumps but the grapple is actually in the way most of the time. I use it for planting trees and it's great for that. Useless to load logs as the logs get caught on the side teeth when you try and unload them. Plus the fact that it is so narrow that if you pick up a log and have it heavy at one end it puts a lot of strain on your loader arms. I also have your 2nd pic except it is the demo version and it is too heavy even when it's empty.
This is my driveway on a normal basis. I sell a bit of stuff. This was a few weeks ago, I think 3 pcs are gone now.
View attachment 599102 View attachment 599103
Cantoo, how's it going bud? How come you no have mountains up there? LOL stay warm my friend.

Back