Grappling with an Avant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climb Higher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK, my back hurts and my crew is exhausted - maybe its time to stop rolling logs like Neanderthals and get a mini skid steer.

Machine - the Avant 420 seems to spec well, 39" wide. 2300 lbs, lifts 1200 lbs, a very pretty green color, that should go well with my black F350. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about that machine? the Avant, not the Ford.

Others skid steers? for logs under 1000 lbs in suburban environments? i am open on this, many locals use Toro Dingos but it seems like a different approach.

Grapple - Avant makes one at 32" and there is a Ryans 40" and a Branch Manager, others too. This seems to be a big decision point. Not sure I need a monster size opening, we have lots of logs / stems around 12-18", plus the 24-32" trunk sections. On those we could slice them in 12" thick washers, pick um up from the side.

Anyway, what should a guy look for in a grapple? I get the impression this is the weak link or slick system, make or break call...

Thanks in advance!

ps - I likely suck at thread searches, if there are threads covering some of this feel free to suggest, reading everything I can prior to plunking down what feels like big bucks

I have a grapple from Quick Attach that has worked well.

It's about 900lbs though.

Branch manager grapple on a Giant 254T. Great grapple, great machine. It’s been a game changer. I’ve got a Valby grapple on a bobcat excavator that works very well too but it’s heavy. That was my first grapple and knowing what I know now I would have got the bmg for the excavator, the Valby weighs around 800 pounds and the lift capacity is 2000. That’s a big chunk out of my lifting capabilities Talk to Dave at top notch tree equipment, he sells avants and giants.

Back