Greasing the clutch and bar sprocket? Airfilters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does that bar grease last? Good friend owns a tree service and I asked that question to him, started laughing and said never has in 29 years and do not plan on starting now, if it's not oiling, turn it up or fix the pump.

Every time I sharpen. Sometimes I wish that the clutch grease hole was exposed on the side cover so I didn’t have to take it off to grease it. I also wish the 372 had a grease hole on the crank, I tried drilling it once but it’s tempered steel and no dice on that
What brand of crank or model is that 372?

It takes one little pump with the grease gun made for this application. The sprocket nose I turn the chain as the grease oozes out of the dL. I grease the nose good.

Some don’t care they just replace the bar or clutch bearing.

I never had a pile of wornout bars. I keep my Barr’s flipped, dressed, greased sprockets.

Pro greaser?

What’s the matter with you. I bring a subject to the forefront, maybe we can all learn something. Smart remarks keeps people away from posting and participating in this forum. It does take more to join in than to do smart, sly remarks.

I’m no pro or guru I learn here too not everyone knows it all.

With mower decks some grease fittings are blind holes. Some have sealed bearings but can be over greased. One shot of grease per spindle often.

I don't know about greasing the tips. I used to and also used to blow apart sprockets.
I have not greased one in years and haven't lost a tip in years. Most of my bars have hundreds of thousands of bd ft on them. Could be coincidence, different filing, or cutting techniques, who knows. Same on the clutches.
Air filter gets constant affection.:heart:

I was referring to this post....

Most over greasers,

are over sensitive too!!!
My skin is sensitive also, always wear gloves when handling grease. Never grease nose sprocket, grease clutch when I clean oil from inside of clutch drum. Clean air filter daily after cutting.

Back when I started out with poison ivy I would wash my exposed skin with gas mix when I gassed up. Then I learned there’s a shot we get in the springtime when the ivy is dormant. With the gas today I don’t wash anymore. My hands been i gas washing parts for the oldman since I was 6yo. Today the gas bothers my hands. I keep a rag on the gas can.

That vine on the tree is poison ivy it maybe dormant but the dust isn’t.

I was called on to cleanup a mess from the hurricane Gloria. The tree was over 100 years old with three giant vines on it. I waited for the pouring rains to keep the dust down.

Note, I was cutting this tree in the rain and felt someone looking at me. I’m running a 2100 with a long bar wide open. Just then I catch in the corner of my eye someone behind me, close to me. If he startled me anymore I’d of pulled the saw and cut him in half. The guys in full camo with a bow. Not a smart thing to do. Never walk close to a cutter.

If I change the sprocket I will put a little oil or grease on the bearing before reassembly.

Never messed with nose sprocket on any saw I have ever owned. The only issues I have had with nose sprockets were due to the nose getting some type of damage while cutting, when left in wet conditions so rust starts in the bar (or one saw that was ran over by a tractor). YMMV but in my experience, bar rails wear out before the nose sprocket.

If I had one or two saws with high dollar bars that I was planning to own long term, I might take time to grease them. But I don't as most of my cutting is done with low dollar saws and bars that I bought for cheap or free.

Back when I started out with poison ivy I would wash my exposed skin with gas mix when I gassed up. Then I learned there’s a shot we get in the springtime when the ivy is dormant. With the gas today I don’t wash anymore. My hands been i gas washing parts for the oldman since I was 6yo. Today the gas bothers my hands. I keep a rag on the gas can.

That vine on the tree is poison ivy it maybe dormant but the dust isn’t.

I was called on to cleanup a mess from the hurricane Gloria. The tree was over 100 years old with three giant vines on it. I waited for the pouring rains to keep the dust down.

Note, I was cutting this tree in the rain and felt someone looking at me. I’m running a 2100 with a long bar wide open. Just then I catch in the corner of my eye someone behind me, close to me. If he startled me anymore I’d of pulled the saw and cut him in half. The guys in full camo with a bow. Not a smart thing to do. Never walk close to a cutter.

Damn it. I thought you were gonna say it was one of Bigfoot’s security team members that you mentioned him having

Damn it. I thought you were gonna say it was one of Bigfoot’s security team members that you mentioned him having

You know most of the early bf sightings were reported from nw loggers. They just admitted that’s its real. Our government is said to have one in captivity. My experience is somethings out there we don’t understand. I seen catamount ( mountainlion) tracks in the higher elevations of the green mountains over three decades ago. And finally seen one not too long ago. There very elusive. Now think about bigfoot being half human half animal. His senses have to be at its highest level to avoid us humans. I can’t pass judgement but if you heard one you would crap your pants. Nothing scares me on this planet.

You know most of the early bf sightings were reported from nw loggers. They just admitted that’s its real. Our government is said to have one in captivity. My experience is somethings out there we don’t understand. I seen catamount ( mountainlion) tracks in the higher elevations of the green mountains over three decades ago. And finally seen one not too long ago. There very elusive. Now think about bigfoot being half human half animal. His senses have to be at its highest level to avoid us humans. I can’t pass judgement but if you heard one you would crap your pants. Nothing scares me on this planet.

How about being exposed as a fraud? That scare you any or are you down to the last marble upstairs and just don't gaf?

Now I seen bills at the dealer for bars, chains and clutch rims and drums that the owners probably never addressed bar/saw maintenance. It wasn’t cheap.

Sealed.
Oil only.
Grease able.
Or just use a a hard tip.

The old open all metal roller bearing tips should be greased, if they have sat a bit it is worth while to flush out the hardened grease and re grease. Lots of time the old grease is heavily rusted and gritty.

The not so old plastic “seal” roller bearing were oil only as the grease could deform the seal which could cause the tip to jam. The wee little OIL hole is clearly labeled on most of those.

Bar oil can protect steel however if you have ever cleaned out old bars the oil soaked saw dust is often quite rusty, that same thing happens to bar tip bearings, the bar oil might lube them a wee bit with saw dust corrupted oil. Not much of an issue unless it sits for while.

As a collector of chainsaws cleaning bar tips is just one more of those things, they are always rusty, always gritty and always work better after cleaning. It becomes more important when the replacement tip is no longer available and the bar is a good addition, of the era, brand specific and or a classic. A large dia Remington roller tip is a good example.

Back