Greasing the clutch and bar sprocket? Airfilters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the neatest shop displays I ever saw was a sheet of plywood with all types of different bar tips disassembled tacked onto it. Manufacturers and dates noted, brief descriptions. That fellow was a serious collector. His collection of chain bits was also excellent.

I am your average greasy greaser and I am OK with that. I just bought two Stihl Rollomatic bars and they have no grease ports. The dealers say they are sealed and do not need any maintenance. When they get older I am going to drill into the bearing and see. The sprocket and bearing should not need any service because they should be oiled by the oil being flung off the chain. No I do not believe in Bigfoot since it is a hoax. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest where many sightings occurred in the Blue Mountains or Cascades. I have been at the exact place just before and after where these things were supposed to have occurred. I might not notice a Bigfoot, but my dog was super keen and she noticed every thing.

Then yes I am afraid of cougars and mountain lions. Cougars walk right past my house often. Where I often cut wood there are not numerous cougars, but often one that seems to stalk me. A few miles East one killed two mountain bikers with in two days. My little Sandy is always on guard watching what ever goes on. A bear can not sneak up on us with in 300 yards before she goes crazy. How can she sense things so far away I do not know, but she does. Thanks

I made a parrot beek type bar groove cleaner from a file handle and I ground down a hacksaw blade to fit the .050” gauge bars, one size fits all. If we don’t clean the bar grooves the tip gets no oil. The saw dust and grit can get packed in the bar groove pretty tight.

I have a local blackbear that visits every so often he just cleaned off my fruit trees and berry bushes I planted for the animals to eat. I have a 125’ of blackberry and raspberry bushes too. Besides my blueberries. I get my share of blueberries for cobbler and pancakes that’s all I care about. My yellow lab goes crazy when the bear is around. Bears urinate and crap on themselves they smell bad. We can smell them when there closeby.

When hiking always bring a dog,

Because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they aren’t there. The bigfoot family as a whole does migrate they follow streams and highways besides trails. At my camp in the higher elevations in vt it borders on the national forest. Above my cam the mountainside to the top is full of blow downs, you can walk without making noise. I walk down the national forest logging road I hear something walking up on the ridge above us. When we stop it stops. When we go it goes. It follows us all the way in and all the way back out. It comes closeby my camp at night and screams at us. It so intense it sounds like a human being skinned alive. I listened to all animal sounds and nothing sounds like this. There’s a bigfoot sighting report on bfro that’s near my camp. Campers were chased out of the forest. I explained my experiences to a gal on a tracking sight, she asked her dad who is a hunting guide up there and he said bigfoot right away.

One of the neatest shop displays I ever saw was a sheet of plywood with all types of different bar tips disassembled tacked onto it. Manufacturers and dates noted, brief descriptions. That fellow was a serious collector. His collection of chain bits was also excellent.

I been collecting partner toaster saws. I bought the older wheel roller nose bars new to go with them.

Fraud believe it or not I could care less. I wouldn’t walk in the forest alone if I were you.

Thank you for that great advice. I was never fearful of sasquatch, if he/she confronted me in the woods, I'd just share a doob with em and we'd be pals for sure.

But you sidestepped the question. Is there anything that huskybill hasn't been/done/ built/seen? There seems to be no end to your vast knowledge of all things and your experiences. Well, except for any backup/ evidence of such things.

For years I was greasing sprocket tips . . . till I found out it's unnecessary. As a professional sawyer I run saws quite a bit. The sprocket tips get oiled plenty. I'll only grease a brand new one, after that it gets by with the oil coming down the bar.

The clutch bearing--if I have the clutch off for some reason I'll grease the bearing for reassembly, but usually those bearings get dozens or maybe hundreds of hours of use between time, and I've never had one go bad. That bearing only turns when the saw idles, it only comes into play when the clutch is not engaged. In the course of a day, that thing is not starved for grease by any means.

Used to have to clean the air filter every day. But Husqvarna--most of my saws are Husky--somehow routes the air so that I need to tap out the air filter maybe once every couple of weeks. (On my one Stihl, a 200T, the air filter needs daily attention.)

Don’t grease the tips you will introduce materials into the bearings, years ago Oregon had us do this with the 3/4 bars and they couldn’t figure out why they kept failing prematurely till one didn’t get greased. The clutch bearing I give a squirt every night well cleaning the rails and side cover out.
962ad9f148216a761a72395af47f8baa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I file, clean, grease, and flip as needed. It's a habit from before the internet told me it was wrong. I thought those holes and little grease pump were for that reason.
A pro logger I worked with did not. He said his saws were on a 2 year trade in routine. I earned my living with my tools and were on for the long haul.
The logger did not call me stoopid, and I didn't call him lazy lol.

I file, clean, grease, and flip as needed. It's a habit from before the internet told me it was wrong. I thought those holes and little grease pump were for that reason.
A pro logger I worked with did not. He said his saws were on a 2 year trade in routine. I earned my living with my tools and were on for the long haul.
The logger did not call me stoopid, and I didn't call him lazy lol.
What if the bar had no greasehole?

No grease hole we don’t grease it. Just make sure the bar groove is clean so some oil goes down the bar to the tip.

Thank you for that great advice. I was never fearful of sasquatch, if he/she confronted me in the woods, I'd just share a doob with em and we'd be pals for sure.

But you sidestepped the question. Is there anything that huskybill hasn't been/done/ built/seen? There seems to be no end to your vast knowledge of all things and your experiences. Well, except for any backup/ evidence of such things.

What backup do you want? I want some of what your smoking.

Then it wouldn't get greased, not a dilemma really.
My working saws have em, some antiques don't, can't speak for the newest models.

Since many new vehicles have very few to no zerks, can I stop greasing my truck?
I could but I'm not. Grease is cheap.

When I worked for American motors in my early days they had plugs we removed to grease the ball joints and tie rods. Then we put the plugs back in. There engineers suggested that dirt and water can get in through the zerk fittings.

Since many new vehicles have very few to no zerks, can I stop greasing my truck?
I could but I'm not. Grease is cheap.
Your u-joints and ball joints are not being bathed in oil.

The bad thing about the zerks, is that some guys like to grease so much they blow the seals and boots out of things, then the water and dirt comes in. I tested this back in 1988. I bought a new truck, and never greased a zerk. At @ 300,000 miles, I finally gave each zerk 1 or 2 pumps from a grease gun.

I never replaced anything on that truck, I wish that I had kept that damn thing.

No one wants to share what there smoking? Lol

If I was in better health I’d be looking for our big furry friend.

Does greasing the nose of the bar push dirt out?

One time I had something jammed in there, took a lot of fooling around to clear it.
Forget what I'd been cutting but likely something ugly.
IDK, like I said, been a habit since before the web net.

Had a torn boot on a 4wd front axle. I obtained a needle to thread onto grease gun and pumped it regular. I milked that thing for the life of the truck, years.
Yea I was poor, and cheap.

Back