green oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrg6

Reaction score
i'm looking for info about green oak trees. i am doing research on the reconstruction of shakespeare's globe, and that's what was used to build it. any suggestions on detailed books on green oak or oak...

That makes more sence. What they meane is thet the wood was worked green. Oak drys very hard and it a Bee Itch to work with hand tools. Especialy soft iron tools common in the days of yor.

I'll bet it was wite oak timberframe construction. When they did this green the beems would shrink enough to lock them in palce. What you want to do is look into timberframing, there is a comunity of these people in the US that move around doing erections. Go ask at your local Woodcraft store.

http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?q=timber+framing&geo=no&fs=web

My dream home will be timberframe...one day. Rough hewn beams....construction that a hurricane couldn't budge....I get goosebumps just thinkin' about it.

I dont know...at 14 more pounds per linear foot than white oak that would be a heavy house. Seems like cypress would be a good wood for that, considering its ability to ward off rot and insects.

Back