Green to climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
war

Homelyhusky said:
I'm new on this site and the last thing I wanted to do was start a war. Like Clint Eastwood said " A man's got to know his limitations". I don't plan on taking the tough jobs. I'll leave that to the guys with the experience. I think I just want to climb and get some heat while I'm doing it. Where I live, getting wood for free now-a- days just don't happen. If I can get some word of mouth from my friends, I'll do it. I'm not going to try to take down a hundred year old tree with branches stretching over roofs. Just want to cut my heating bills. Besides, I'm getting sick of my present job and might end up being legit compitition.
hh relax! people are hearing what your saying. bring the pain, you will be in a rookie climber staus for 3yrs min. industry standards. why this trade? firewood? please where are you that its not available. roc jock,
leave it at home this a regulated profession. competition?? lets just take her down a notch eh sparky, do you have flex time at your job how will you practice? where is your nearest saw shop? do you have an arborist supply house in mind, rock jock gear wont work, it wont be easy and there is never any dishonor in not pusuring the profession, you like clint? ask yourself (not do you feel lucky we dont have luck in this industry only highly skilled precision professionals) why would one want to go to a second career in what should be the easier years of life and try making wood by hanging in the air on a half inch rope with the most dangerous handtool. ?

Regulated Profession???? Who are you trying to kid Jmack? I have a recognized trade to work around power. Other than that any one can get certified by the ISA, including guys that have a hard time climbing out of bed, never mind trees. Means basically nothing in regards to removals. HH go have some fun, you don't have to ask anymore questions, just search this site for past posts.

hh,i agree with clearance.lot's of old posts with a wealth of knowledge.that's what i do.no one was born with their skills,all of us were taught by someone at some point in time or another.

osha

clearance said:
Regulated Profession???? Who are you trying to kid Jmack? I have a recognized trade to work around power. Other than that any one can get certified by the ISA, including guys that have a hard time climbing out of bed, never mind trees. Means basically nothing in regards to removals. HH go have some fun, you don't have to ask anymore questions, just search this site for past posts.
we got osha and they will regulate you, we couldnt get on utilities in the states without safety programs and examination of osha fines, no one is discouraging the guy but the whole will climb for firewood deal is weak once hh tells me where he is he will be buried in wood clearance you dont have to be proud of being a utility trimmer but dont take away from those who are

I'd like to propose that Clearance be given a new section on the board called "The Hot Seat":blob2: If it goes well enough we could turn it into a cable show maybe on the Outdoor Living Network. JMack, do you mind being the Ed McMahon style straight man? Can I have 10% of the profits? Thanks.

HH, the advice is all good. Pick up Jepson's Tree Climbing Companion, get yourself a saddle, helmet, biners and rope. Learn the "traditional" climbing system (DdRT, Blakes hitch etc.). No need to get fancy, start low and slow, learn how to be safe. Ask a lot of questions on the boards. See if you can connect with another climber, the learning is very slow on your own. Ultimately it's not going to be about firewood you can do that best from the ground. Once you get some climbing time under your belt you can think more about where you're headed with it. One step at a time.
-moss

HH-"Traditional" is spurs and a tautline. All you need is spurs, saddle, steelcore and a rope + saw. Jmack, osha regulates everthing, can a construction laborer work in sandals? Osha does not control who can climb. What I mean is that anyone can climb, quit trying to make it mysterious. If anyone does any kind of treework and works hard doing the best they can they should be proud. Utility, res. climbers and groundsmen. Moss, I like the idea, I could do it and offend and entertain many.

thanks

moss said:
I'd like to propose that Clearance be given a new section on the board called "The Hot Seat":blob2: If it goes well enough we could turn it into a cable show maybe on the Outdoor Living Network. JMack, do you mind being the Ed McMahon style straight man? Can I have 10% of the profits? Thanks.

HH, the advice is all good. Pick up Jepson's Tree Climbing Companion, get yourself a saddle, helmet, biners and rope. Learn the "traditional" climbing system (DdRT, Blakes hitch etc.). No need to get fancy, start low and slow, learn how to be safe. Ask a lot of questions on the boards. See if you can connect with another climber, the learning is very slow on your own. Ultimately it's not going to be about firewood you can do that best from the ground. Once you get some climbing time under your belt you can think more about where you're headed with it. One step at a time.
-moss
i agree this aint helping hh. clearance your a mystery, enough already, before i send mechanical trimmers up there to put you and your anybodys on the unemployment line.

Can't we all just get along. I find it commical to see the different sides. however one side that no one has mentioned is the financial side.

HH, I do not know what your intensions of your business are nor do I care and here is what I mean by that statement. If you are going to under take this business illegally - no insurance, certification, licenses, tax ID numbers etc you are taking a heck of a gamble with your personal assets. In the unlikely event that you damage someones property or a helper gets injured the legal fees will far exceed the cost of you buying 100 cords of wood at $200/cord. On the other hand, if you plan on doing this business legally you will have to preform a cost analysis. In sum, when you are done buying insurance, regerstering the business, paying licensing and certification fees, and equipement, you have to ask yourself..........ARE YOU MAKING MONEY.... in your case........are you saving on heating........

Just my two cents. Good luck with what you do.

Above and Beyond that was very well said. Jmack-mechanical trimmers to put us out of work? Those rotary cutters on a machine work awesome but they leave stubs, tear the wood and so on.....like it matters, good one.

Latest posts

Back