Grinding Roots....Safe or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeseer said:
LB the trees and their owners would be a lot better off if the areas with protruding roots were mulched. If you want to sell a more responsible service, carry some bags of mulch around with you and apply it where roots should not be disturbed.

Which leads to yet another question I have. I have been told, and seen for myself, that at least is some cases, if you put too much dirt or mulch around a tree, that too can damage and/or kill the tree. I have seen a couple cases of this recently. For instance, when people clear a new lot and leave a lot of trees, then haul in dirt to build up the lot. I was wondering what kind of guidelines should be followed in a situation such as this, or when doing as you say by adding mulch to an area around the tree with protruding roots.?

Rather than using a stumper to remove unwanted above ground portions, it may be wise to assertain what is the soil problem that is causing "air-borne roots" ie. high water table, poor soil porosity, ledge, surface applications of fertilizers, whatever - and manage these factors if possible. If that cannot be accomplished, an air spade or air knife would be a better choice for removing surrounding soil. Then a clean sever of the two ends of the exposed root with disinfected, sharp wood chesils should be used. The fungicidal properties of Cambist aplied to the fresh wounds would probably be benifical, as well as its capablilities to ehance rooting. A follow up application of mycorhizal fungi may enhance the remaining root system,as well as fracturing parched (?) compacted (?) surface soils. I am not endorsing any of these products, and I own a stump grinder: but the right tool for the right job. After all, would you use a stumpgrinder to do a trenching job that would be much better suited for a ditch witch?

ROOT FOR TREES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blob2:

treeseer said:
Shaving the tops makes a big wound, open to all kinds of infection and decay. Roots generally do wall off decay better than branches, but best to use the stump grinder for grinding stumps.

God knows I don't want to get to involved in this thread... however I will second the above quote. That is the main concern, opening up roots to allow decay, fungi and/or bacteria in, COULD increase the likelihood of tree failure. The practice while it may be commonplace in certain areas of the country due to exsisting soil conditions (density?) it IS wrong. Structural failure combined with providing an entry vector for disease is likely. If you haven't seen it happen yet, count your lucky stars, at some point it probably will.

Latest posts

Back