Groundmen say the darnedest things.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have the easy job.
Had a groundman say that to me once. He kept saying he wanted to learn how to climb. Took him up an Oak one day to deadwood it. After we got done he looked at me and said "how the heck do you do that every day?" I was honest and said that it does get easier. He never asked to climb again.

There really is some sour old climbers in here

That's the truth! Most of it come from these ****ers on the ground who are working with neurotic preconceived notions that turn an ordinary thing into such turmoil that you end up spending half of your paycheck on therapy only to have the shrink tell you what you already knew - that its not your fault.

That should be on the " Bosses Say the Darndest Things " thread. ME!? Foreman!!? I think not.

But that is what they do say, " You are the foreman blah blah blah."

Now if you are gonna say that the guy who climbs the trees automatically becomes the foreman through some unspoken rule, assumption or even magic, well, guess what I have to say about that? Its ********! I mean, I have heard it before and they try to buffalo me into believing I am the actual foreman but the truth is that I am just a tree climber with no authority and very little responsibility.
My issue with that is my foreman who isn't a climber tries to tell our climber how to bring down the tree. He does the complete opposite of what she says, I love it. He has over 20 yrs experience, she has 2.

Climbers AKA the divas of the industry.

"Dont touch my saddle"
"Dont touch my rope"
"Wheres all my biners"

"Dont touch my saw!"
"Fill up my saw!"

Stop being divas.

"Dont touch my saddle"
"Dont touch my rope"
"Wheres all my biners"

"Dont touch my saw!"
"Fill up my saw!"

Stop being divas.
Pffft. Stop touching my saddle/rope/biners and saw (unless you're filling it up), and there should be no issues. Seems fairly simple, yea?

"Dont touch my saddle"
"Dont touch my rope"
"Wheres all my biners"

"Dont touch my saw!"
"Fill up my saw!"

Stop being divas.

Actually, I think this thread is improperly named. It shouldn't be " Groundmen say the darndest things". I think what most of us are talking about are those pesky newbies or the one drunk worthless idiot the bawss keeps on because he feels so sorry for him he can't fire him.

Me: theres a hung up branch, you'll need the hook to pull it out
Groundy: it looks stuck I dont think it will come out
Me: just do what you gotta do
branch comes down fine
Groundy: it would be easier if you could make sure they dont get hung up
Me: I'll do what i can but its harder up here than down there

I actually got pretty pissed off at this little conversation - I was already tired, sore, hot, itchy (get the drift) and pissed off to begin with so it was bad timing I suppose..

Cut those stinkin
Me: theres a hung up branch, you'll need the hook to pull it out
Groundy: it looks stuck I dont think it will come out
Me: just do what you gotta do
branch comes down fine
Groundy: it would be easier if you could make sure they dont get hung up
Me: I'll do what i can but its harder up here than down there

I actually got pretty pissed off at this little conversation - I was already tired, sore, hot, itchy (get the drift) and pissed off to begin with so it was bad timing I suppose..

Cut those nubs off on ur way up and try not to take Y shaped branches in a tight rig

Latest posts

Back