Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know what you mean, i grew up near the santa cruz mountains. and alot of my friends were in the mountains. spent alot of time in the redwoods. (even got married at Redwood Estates) i feel the same way about felling them. but luckily i now have santa cruz mountain property, and get to saw on the ones that fall naturally. its a win win:rock:

I know Susanville, been there many times. Interesting place, it is on the edge of the Smoke Creek Desert and yet it seems like a mountain town.
I logged south of there, in the Yuba Pass area.

This might be for RandyMac, A few months ago I ended up with an 090G with a roller 38" bar with some of the biggest chain I've ever seen, with a new old 5/8 pitch full skip. I was told it was used in redwood and cedar, Anyone have any Info on when and where this size chain might have been used ?. pictures soon.

Cool I logged around Chester for a little while, Met sum good old boys in that area and learned a lot.

Love to go fishing, camping and deer hunting in the area around Chester, Mineral and Lassen Natl Park. There are some huge bucks up there. The trick is to be in the right place when the deer migrate from Mt Lassen to lower altitudes.

Love the smell of Jeffery Pine. My dad camped in the Mill Creek Campground near Mineral for fishing and deer hunting. He took me camping there when I was less than 2 months old. Lots of fond memories of that area.

Everybody should drive the Feather River Canyon at least once.

I agree, late spring when every thing is green and the water is high. I was born in Quincy and went to school there a couple of years before we moved to central CA foothills. Have been back many times, always go thru the canyon at least one way.

Everybody should drive the Feather River Canyon at least once.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
This might be for RandyMac, A few months ago I ended up with an 090G with a roller 38" bar with some of the biggest chain I've ever seen, with a new old 5/8 pitch full skip. I was told it was used in redwood and cedar, Anyone have any Info on when and where this size chain might have been used ?. pictures soon.

I've never seen 5/8 pitch chain on a saw that 'new'. The McCulloch 77 that I picked up from a CL seller in the Placerville area a few years ago had 5/8 pitch (Oregon 16C) chipper chain. Big stuff.

The chain of that size just clears the case, in fact there is alot of repaired damage from thrown chain. One old faller said the chipper chain wasnt that great but the no.16 chesel type that I've got was real good inthe soft woods around here. I'm still trying to find out if it was used much in the redwoods.

Last edited:
I too love the redwoods. We live at the valley entrance to sequoia national park, we venture up there 9-10 times a year. One of our first stops is Converse Basin, at one time one of the largest groves of giant Sequioa, but it was completely logged out between 1890 and 1900. Now it's called stump meadow. Living in central California I have been exposed to the logging industry all,my life, I grew up in the woods of eastern Madera county, once home of the Madera Sugar Pine Lumber Company. Logging ceased to exist here full time in about 1992-93, we had 5 very large mills in the area of about 100 sq. miles, but they are all gone now. Not only did we lose the jobs and the tax base from them, we are also confronted with a severely overgrown forest, as in the case of the are of the Rim Fire. Come see me sometime, I'll show you the largest trees in the world.

I too love the redwoods. We live at the valley entrance to sequoia national park, we venture up there 9-10 times a year. One of our first stops is Converse Basin, at one time one of the largest groves of giant Sequioa, but it was completely logged out between 1890 and 1900. Now it's called stump meadow. Living in central California I have been exposed to the logging industry all,my life, I grew up in the woods of eastern Madera county, once home of the Madera Sugar Pine Lumber Company. Logging ceased to exist here full time in about 1992-93, we had 5 very large mills in the area of about 100 sq. miles, but they are all gone now. Not only did we lose the jobs and the tax base from them, we are also confronted with a severely overgrown forest, as in the case of the are of the Rim Fire. Come see me sometime, I'll show you the largest trees in the world.

What town in eastern Madera county? I'm in North Fork about 40 minutes from Nelder Grove home of the Bull Buck tree one of the three largest sequoias in the world.

Latest posts

Back