Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grew up in Bass Lake spent summers and all free time there. Spent many 4th of july's at the loggers jamborees in south fork. I can still remember coming down the mountain just before getting into North Fork at night and seeing the burner at the mill glowing. Those were the days up there it was a great place to grow up, we sold ours place in 1990 and I had not been up there much since. I went a couple of weeks ago, hardly recognized any of it.

Yea Bass Lake has really changed, many of the old cabins have been replaced with huge homes. North Fork is still the same except now the mill is gone. I used to spend my summers as a teen at Bass Lake and my wife grew up there, we may have crossed paths.

I too love the redwoods. We live at the valley entrance to sequoia national park, we venture up there 9-10 times a year. One of our first stops is Converse Basin, at one time one of the largest groves of giant Sequioa, but it was completely logged out between 1890 and 1900. Now it's called stump meadow. Living in central California I have been exposed to the logging industry all,my life, I grew up in the woods of eastern Madera county, once home of the Madera Sugar Pine Lumber Company. Logging ceased to exist here full time in about 1992-93, we had 5 very large mills in the area of about 100 sq. miles, but they are all gone now. Not only did we lose the jobs and the tax base from them, we are also confronted with a severely overgrown forest, as in the case of the are of the Rim Fire. Come see me sometime, I'll show you the largest trees in the world.
Welcome aboard my friend and glad to know u. I have many friends, bear hunters near you. Norm Green...

Went down for a few days since I head it was going to rain. Hard to beat the Coast Redwoods when it's wet.

Heard the guy at Hiouchi Cafe was hoping for some photos with his Mustang, so invited down to Walker Rd. at Jedediah Smith park Thursday night. Friday after rain subsided, encountered the photo session for a wedding that took place in Stout Grove.

One more of several new finds in Redwood National and State Parks.

Single trunk ..

Jugger_1200.jpg

Wh...what?

With "love a duck" I think he meant the rhyming figure of speech that the forum's language filter would not let post.

Here's one more new Coast Redwood find from last week.

Let's see...I'd get me some springboards and I'd put the face just about...oops, sorry Mario. Old habits die hard.
Nice stick.

Just for fun ... let's suppose you got to cut this one. Where would you put your first spring board notch?

Catacomb_1200mdv.jpg

With "love a duck" I think he meant the rhyming figure of speech that the forum's language filter would not let post.

Here's one more new Coast Redwood find from last week.

Just for fun ... let's suppose you got to cut this one. Where would you put your first spring board notch?

Catacomb_1200mdv.jpg

It's hard to tell without walking around the tree but, with only the picture for a reference, my first board would probably be about belt high on that guy standing by the tree.

BTW ... what kind of wood were spring boards made from?

And here' one more new find. 19 ft. diameter measured about 10 ft. above ground. Over 315 ft.

Enterprise_1_12_mdv.jpg

We usually used doug fir, quarter sawn if we could get it. Some of the guys from up north swore by spruce but df was easy for us to find.

Nice tree...nice pictures.

We usually used doug fir, quarter sawn if we could get it. Some of the guys from up north swore by spruce but df was easy for us to find.

Nice tree...nice pictures.

Interesting,,,, my wood chop boards are Red Cedar and am guessing they are simular to what the old timers used for falling. I know a few old boys who fell with axe and crosscut but they said they often just notched out and used a sapling and balanced off that. All this is well before my time.

Interesting,,,, my wood chop boards are Red Cedar and am guessing they are simular to what the old timers used for falling. I know a few old boys who fell with axe and crosscut but they said they often just notched out and used a sapling and balanced off that. All this is well before my time.

I don't think our cedar would work too well. I've never tried it but I think a 2x would be too brittle. It sure would be nice and light though. Some of those old df boards were heavy. We had an old guy die in the woods and nobody claimed his spruce boards. The guys that wound up with them wouldn't let them go. Light and strong.

I've used saplings too, or cut a board free hand out of a cull when I absolutely had to. Without a dog they were always a little wobbly but we'd make do. I always liked a good wide board with a good sharp dog on it and a nice snug fit in the tree.

LOL...it really didn't matter how good the board was, I always felt better...and cut better, too...with both feet on the ground. On the bigger stuff using a board, or two or three, I'd usually put a snipe in the bottom of the face so the butt would slide down and ground itself pretty good while I was trying to bail off the board with some semblance of grace and without breaking my damn neck. I never quite achieved grace but I didn't break my neck, either.

Awsome guys, I never get tired of seeing these giants, something not seen in our land.
I miss this thread, good to see it start up again.

If you ever get over here let us know. If we can't lead you around personally we'll tell you the good places to see the best trees. There's still some left and I hope there always will be.

Back