ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Growing white peach trees from peach Pitts.

Discussion in 'Nursery' started by Huskybill, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

I tried planting white peach Pitts with no success for fruit. The trees grew, I fed them. They grew 8+ feet tall. They had fruit but all of it rotted and fell off before it matured.

I grew trees years ago as a kid in the 60’s that had fruit but why didn’t it work for me again.

SeMoTony likes this.
  2. oldbluebird

oldbluebird New Member

Growing trees from seed will not get you a true variety. Fruit trees are grafted on a root stock to control the size and vigor of the tree.

The science now is to plant dwarf trees which bear fruit earlier and are easy to control due to their height limit of 8 to 10 feet. Also orchards are turning to trellis systems and planting of more trees per acre.
    I would look at Stark when they put their trees on sale around May. Several years ago the economy must have been bad and they had to clear the cold storage and some apple trees were priced at $9 which normally sold for $30.

farmer steve, SeMoTony and Del_ like this.
  3. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

I planted dwarf white peach trees I purchased from stark. I cut the trees I grew from seeds down to 4’ tall. I planted fruit trees that the animals mainly raid. The Blackbear tore the seed peach trees up. The peaches aren’t perfect but he ate them. Last year no peaches on them.

SeMoTony likes this.