Gurus? Husky 242 Xp vs 346 Xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anyone compared the 242 Xp vs 346 Xp? Or built a 242 Xp? I was just wondering with both of them being high rpm saws.

It’s like comparing a 283, to a 327 to a 350 small block Chevy.

I used a 70’s husky 240sg for cutting up tops, cutting branches. Plus clearing saplings making a road. I was wondering today which small would be lighter with more power.

Has anyone compared the 242 Xp vs 346 Xp? Or built a 242 Xp? I was just wondering with both of them being high rpm saws.

It’s like comparing a 283, to a 327 to a 350 small block Chevy.
Unfortunately, most guys under 50 around here wouldn't know to what you are referring anymore.

Unfortunately, most guys under 50 around here wouldn't know to what you are referring anymore.
Well I'm 39 and usta live and breath small block chevys. Built quite a few 377 destrokers, even a 352 which was a 400 4 bolt block using a 3 inch stroke 302 crank with AFR 220cc heads. 9000 rpm baby.
Anyways I've only owned 1 242xp in my life, it was a revver for sure, but I was never happy with the usable torque powerband. I've had both versions of 346, and the NE has the most user friendly powerband. 242 is a great saw, I avoid them now because simple parts like seals are real hard to find now.

In the 70’s I had a 57 chevy Sb power pack heads, a z28 solid lifter cam, eldebrock manifold, with a holly carb. I would put everything in a used block drag race it till it blew up.
Get another 283/327/ short block and start all over, repeat till it was no longer fun. I even raced a 400 firebird one night Spun a bearing and still beat it.

The 346 is a more competent all rounder, the 242 and it's family are much more specialized. Used for their intended application falling/limbing/blocking smaller pulp wood they are very hard to beat. The small frame, balance and high rpm are extremely well suited to Scandinavian style logging. Cutting up hardwood for firewood? Not so much.
That said I have a 133 on its way to me, so I own the entire family....

The 346 is a more competent all rounder, the 242 and it's family are much more specialized. Used for their intended application falling/limbing/blocking smaller pulp wood they are very hard to beat. The small frame, balance and high rpm are extremely well suited to Scandinavian style logging. Cutting up hardwood for firewood? Not so much.
That said I have a 133 on its way to me, so I own the entire family....

Wow, you found a 133, nice, I just need a recoil sticker for mine.
I have all but the 234 and have yet to see one in hand, I think those are the rarest of all, very short production run.
From what I've gathered, the 133 and 234 are pretty much identical but for the labels.

They're a good bit off power wise from the 242 and miles away from 346 performance, lol...

The 133 has the choke on the opposite side, and a 266 style high idle. Or at least the early ones do. That's what I have coming.

You are going to hate me, but, my 234 SE was a freebie found under a bench in a dark dirty basement with a 340s...
It has recieved a complete teardown and bath since this picture was taken. Decals Sugar Creek is working on.
5b261a24152e81df01ad4c51f33814dd.jpg

Wow bill I never knew you had a 240sg, you've never mentioned it. Not once.

You still shootin dimes at 1000 yards? With open sights? Teachin them snipers how it's done? Lol

Wow bill I never knew you had a 240sg, you've never mentioned it. Not once.

You still shootin dimes at 1000 yards? With open sights? Teachin them snipers how it's done? Lol

That’s a 70’s husky professional 240 SG all metal. I only cut smaller trees with it. I have mentioned it before, sorry I sold it. I have two professional 240 SE to be restored. Once I got the 266SE the 240 did less work.

Hey Bill didn't you say your eager beaver had huge power? Why don't you use that LOL.

All I said was I sharpened the chain on my eager beaver and it didn’t cut too bad for what it is. I could probably hand saw faster.

This shouldn't just be about 242 vs. 346, but also about old (45cc) 346 vs. NE (50cc) 346.

The original 45cc 346xp sort of is a compromise between the other two regarding rpm and versatility, and it was the direct replacement for the 242xp. The first ones actually were rated very close to the 242xp regarding max rpm, before they adjusted the specs down to 14700 max (and some times even 14200). It is more of a specialized limbing/small wood saw than the later 50cc NE (that came in 2007).

For a "do it all" saw the 50cc NE346xp is the clear winner, at least for saws that are anywhere close to stock.

I don't want to derail this thread but about SBChevys. I have had many SBC but for longevity and overall quality I will take a small block Oldsmobile anyday.
You do not see many of either around any more unfortunately.

I was into cars in the late 1990's to mid 2000's. Had a number of good V-8's saved up before I got out of the hobby. You could still find decent motors back then although the heyday was the late 80's to early 90's when nobody wanted that stuff.

Back