Gutless 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got another 028 a couple weeks ago that needed a p and c. Ordered a chinese 028 super kit put it on and had way to much squish around .050 so I took .025 off the base and cleaned up and widened the intake and exhaust ports a little. Rebuilt the carb, crank seals, fuel lines, impulse line, and a new plug and is gutless in the cut.
Iv ran it a cut or two without the filter with no difference
My 024 will run circles around it. It also sounds like a fluttering noise coming from the carb with or without the air filter on.
Shouldn’t the 028 be about the same power as a ms290?

So my question is do you guys think my port timing is way off due to taking material off the base?

I just finished PTO side repairs on a Super. It came set up for 3/8” x 16”. Pulled the 16” real well. I normally prefer .325” x 18” on them.

Just for giggles mounted a 20”. Pulled that surprisingly well to. [emoji15]

Your port timing maybe in the **** can.

My guess is that milling the cyl.bottom and grinding the intake port it may have a little too much intake duration,small saws don't like that and will lose a lotta torque.

Could just be the carb too. I’d check the metering valve height. I usually set the wabros on the 028 supers to just above the base of the carb.
Can’t hurt anyway to try, about a 15 min job.

Then retune obviously.

..025 off base is just not enough to throw port timing off to the point where it runs poorly. as mike said, its hard to give any good advice without knowing exactly where things stand in terms port timing. are you sure the flywheel hasnt slipped?

Latest posts

Back