Guys, did I do something reckless?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBob99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Damn right I did. I stopped in the shop to talk about my ms250 problem and walked out with an ms461

Came with a 28" bar. It's way more saw then I've ever run. First I've got to cut ~10 cords on two decks. Then some dead standing 12-16" larch. Then some +24" cottonwoods this winter. And whatever else gets thrown my way.

There’s no replacement for displacement. Your between 75 cc / 80 cc that’s a good nitch to be for a saw. Just be careful you have more power now.

Did you do something reckless buying the 461? No.

Did the dealer who sold it to you do something reckless? ...

Good luck, and stay safe.

PS- you get the dogs back at the dealer.

I'm bucking firewood right now on the log decks. I generally only cut for a fuel tank or two so that I'm not cutting under fatigue. Then I split and stack while I'm tired.
I'm wearing chaps and eye/ear protection. Any other safety suggestions are welcome...

I'm bucking firewood right now on the log decks. I generally only cut for a fuel tank or two so that I'm not cutting under fatigue. Then I split and stack while I'm tired.
I'm wearing chaps and eye/ear protection. Any other safety suggestions are welcome...
A 20" bar, you'll be able to cut longer, only fill the fuel tank half full if you find yourself tiring before the fuel is gone.
A sharp chain is one of the best safety suggestions, spend money on some good files and learn how to file well I you don't know how to.
Congrats on the new saw and welcome to AS.
Brett

Full brim hard hat comes before chaps and glasses in darker times for me. I like the MSA Skullgard with a Fas-Trac II suspension. Best combination in industry right now. Fibre-Metal’s P1 is sort of the original hard hat in the high-heat (steel mills, hot work, not a hot day)/fiber category and their suspension is way more comfortable than MSA’s new suspensions on their hat.

Bullard’s S-71 is a good option for cheap. Actually, it or the six-point Bullard or their wildland hat that looks just like it are probably the only plastic hats I’d wear now that I have my Skullgard. Mind you, we’re talking $80 vs $25, too.

I asked the sales guy and the tech about the shorter bars, the tech said I might as well buy a smaller saw then. I guess I'll be getting stronger until I buy a 20" bar and chains. I've got a pack of Husqvarna Intensive Cut files. My sharpening skills are okay, I will improve.

catbuster, I'll pick up a hard hat. I'm not going to be felling for a few months.

No one understands how much easier it is to buck with a bigger power head.

My son was cutting with a Poulan wild thang. I got him a new husky 460 first since he’s cleaning up my land. He couldn’t thank me enough when he got home after cutting. Then I gave him a husky 570 he’s using that one now. Next I’ll give him a husky 285xp. Then he’s all set.

Wow, this saw is something else. Where do you guys buy the good dogs? The stock ones stink.
Be careful when you order.

I’m 100% that MS460 are different than most other Stihl models. MS461 May differ as well.

The cheap ones will bolt up, but not be in line with each other if you get the wrong ones.

I thought hardhats were only for wood falling from above. I was reading the manual last night and I see how the brim could help protect my forehead from a kickback.

Chainsaw gloves saved me the other day from mangling my left hand in a surprise move by the saw. I didn't have even a scratch.

I asked the sales guy and the tech about the shorter bars, the tech said I might as well buy a smaller saw then. I guess I'll be getting stronger until I buy a 20" bar and chains. I've got a pack of Husqvarna Intensive Cut files. My sharpening skills are okay, I will improve.

catbuster, I'll pick up a hard hat. I'm not going to be felling for a few months.

A 28” isn’t bad to use all day I’d rather have a 32 or 36, a 32 is an everyday bar for me it means less bending over as well I prefer a tip heavy saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought hardhats were only for wood falling from above. I was reading the manual last night and I see how the brim could help protect my forehead from a kickback.

And keep limbs & branches smacking you in the face, yada yada.

The 460 & 461 dawgs mount up the same, the cases are very similar. The outer is the same as most Stihl saws but the inner is different.

Exaggeration.

g01954art01.jpg

I got sacked in the noggin while felling a tall tree the top hit the top of another tall tree and the dead branch boomeranged a line drive to my head. I was quick enough to block half of it. Luckily the branch was short.

Always keep your mind on what we’re doing. Expect the unexpected.

Lucky Son, lucky Dad

I'm starting to understand. Different muscles are sore tonight, it feels good.

A nice hot shower over the muscles should relax them. I let it run down my lower back too.

When I’m not cutting, the first day back at felling and bucking I work only a half day to stretch my muscles again. Then two full days of easy cutting. By the fourth day I pour it on. In the past I’ve pulled muscles by not taking the time to limber up in the past.

Back