Gyppo Logger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes msP but the roads are horrible and the school is terrible. so where is my tax money being spent? i understand what your saying and you are right......how ever, some thing has gone horribly wrong lately.

Our schools are not horrible. The whole public school thing has been politicized and is something that some rich folks want to get hold of and make money off of. The blame game is in full swing and teachers take the brunt of that. If your schools are so bad, change it. Do you talk to teachers? Go to meetings about your kids? And don't sue the school for every little thing. The latter takes money from all of us and gives it to the lawyers.

No, I don't have kids. I see a lot of parental involvement in our community, and the kids with ambition seem to do all right. That's what it is all about. Being all right--not getting rich. Look at your priorities and thank whatever deity you believe in because things could be a heck of a lot worse. Is that a Scandihoovian way of thinking that things could always be worse?

Northman, yes, property taxes are high. In fact, that's on my reasons to move list. Property tax is linked to the value of our places, and what folks are paying for it, or perceived to be. You live closer to one of the highest priced cities in the country and I'm sure that affects your taxes. My Don't Move Here campaign isn't working.:(

We get the government we elect. Hope all of you vote.

My son(15)often gets into hot H2O @ school for speaking his mind so he is taught to say "in my opinion". Here is mine-this whole thread was started from a Wikipedia quote that was full of political reasons as to the current state of the Gyppo. To me and mine a Gyppo is any kind of person whom acquires a product and markets it or works for a piece of the action one piece at a time through volume in the form of weight,scale, or piece. :crazy2::dumb: The Gyppo mentality kinda goes to **** with the coming of the hrly wage. when i interview potential help and ask what they are worth the response is usually an hrly rate. Its never "X% of the volume sold,produced,or harvested". When something breaks or a plan fails or stumbles the "Gyppo" fixes the problem asap to gain further production. They often go in early and stay late. they are a fiercely independent-learning through the school of hard knocks. They weld in the rain-plow the snow in the middle of the night-tough it through an injury-ETC.:wtf::givebeer:

Timber fallers in this area went to an hourly rate with the advent of thinning jobs. Thinnings take more time and skill and less volume is put on the ground than with clearcutting. The days of the 3 log loads are over.

You get what you pay for. The highest paid guys do an excellent job and take pride in their falling skills. One gypo couldn't find a good faller and their whole yarding crew would be down because they had caught up to the fallers. A local guy persuaded him to see about hiring two high priced local fallers. He did and they made him a success. He kept them working for him on other jobs even thought they cost him more dollars per hour. They sure increased his production.

:barbecue::sucks::guitar::dumb::chainsaw: How can i get my point across without seaming to political or offending some liberal view, i cant at this point... So its off to "gyppo slope" .:blob2:

schools here are pretty bad. and i have a problem with what and how the kids are being taught, or not being taught. no, the mrs. won't allow me at the meetings yet lol. i did check into the private school i attended.....11,000 a year now. that ain't gonna happen. all i can do is try and teach him the values i grew up with and hope it sticks. some of the teachers know the curriculum is flawed but i guess they must follow it if they want a job.

Only 8% of the private work force in this county it unionized. Union workers make 17% more money on average than the typical non-union worker.

That's all I know about the subject.

They make 17% more but how much more do the pay relatively in taxes and Union fee's?

They make 17% more but how much more do the pay relatively in taxes and Union fee's?
It's a lot like social sec.-someone will always pay the back note for someone else on their front note. Its the sickest most Bastardized form of "pay it forward"(back or butt whatever you prefer)that has been thought of since who knows when.

:barbecue::sucks::guitar::dumb::chainsaw: How can i get my point across without seaming to political or offending some liberal view, i cant at this point... So its off to "gyppo slope" .:blob2:

I'm not offended. You haven't resorted to name calling, or insulting my beliefs--unlike the political forum. I do have a liberal view. That's allowed in our country and I happen to feel and probably vote differently than most on here. Hope your feelings weren't hurt but I posted what I observe going on in these parts and a come around of a gypo logger from frustration to production.

Another example? There was another yarder outfit that was rumored to pay more per hour to their yarding crew and pay cash under the table. The trouble was that they also skimped on replacing parts and were broke down for 4 days of the week, and might get a day's worth of work before breaking down again. Needless to say, they had a high crew turnover and didn't impress the mill they were logging for any.

When the good gypo logger would return to this area, it was like the Blues Brothers movie. I was up on another job and a guy came out of the woods--I have no idea what he was doing or where his transportation was, and said, "I heard ______ is coming back to log here. Is it true?" His local crew liked to work for him because he paid them a fair wage and he paid them on time and it was all done legally. He'd even go hunt down guys who had quit to give them their check.

The most excellent crews worked for a larger outfit--I think they might be too big to be considered gypo? They paid well, kept guys working, and even offered health insurance before it became mandatory. I liked working with them. Apparently they always had a stack of filled out job applications available and could be choosy about who worked for them.

I'll still say you get what you pay for.

I guess I could be considered liberal myself, though I have a tendency to get uppity about weapons and the taking of them. Just have a different idear as to how folks should be taxed.
! "my taxes are so low"... that we still have 2 lane dirt highways with painted center lines!! so you can see where my tax dollars go. as far as my weepawns, theres no worries when there aimed out the windows and doors! let them come?.

Ms.P- I am not offended at all. My son and i do are "Gyppo" to the core. there are no hand outs here. Wyoming is a right to work state, making Union work here limited to big corporations(mining and power co. mainly). In most of my working career i have been self employed and have had up 17-21 people i was responsible for and don't care to eve be that busy again. During that phase i was a drywall/paint contractor and competed with Union crews alot. Many times taking over their contracts because of lack of performance on the union crews part to make the General Contractor happy. Like Gologit stated and i paraphrase "the Gyppo showed up on time and got it done". As far as the liberal statement i made- I got a John Wayne-Lee Marvin-Sam Peckinpaw attitude about most things and was feeling a little brash about this whole subject. And still do. I got a warning once before from the Magisterium for my dialect on this site and don't care another. :bowdown:. while there are folks on this site whom are just curious and are on the "forestry and logging" page and others who used to be involved and still are - Awwh heck i just take some of this **** way to serious. but maybe i am just galled at myself for not kissin' Corporal Am. hind end. I'd rather kick it.:buttkick:. We do what we do one stump at a time. :barbecue::cheers:

just for the record.........i dunno if i'd call any one here a liberal. Matt i got a purdy good handle on how you live, you ain't one lol. Ms. P you do look at things a little bit different than i but you are not that far left that we can't meet in the middle. and yes we all do have a right to feel how we want.

Liberal conservative? Conservative liberal? How about free thinker? Why hang your hat on only one description? How about making up your own mind from all the information available? If we choose to label ourselves as just one thing and listen to just one side we limit what we believe and what we understand. I kinda like cherry picking the best ideas and people from both sides...or all sides...of the argument and using them to make things better for myself.
That might be a little self-serving but it seems to work.
And that's as close to a political statement as I get.

Liberal conservative? Conservative liberal? How about free thinker? Why hang your hat on only one description? How about making up your own mind from all the information available? If we choose to label ourselves as just one thing and listen to just one side we limit what we believe and what we understand. I kinda like cherry picking the best ideas and people from both sides...or all sides...of the argument and using them to make things better for myself.
That might be a little self-serving but it seems to work.
And that's as close to a politcal statement as I get.

Yay! Yes, we should be free to think for ourselves without being ridiculed, threatened and called names.

Back