Gyppo Logger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About Gyppo Loggers, AKA: Gypo Loggers, as spelled north of the 49th parallel, we have this from Wikipedia:

A gyppo logger (sometimes spelled "gypo logger") is a lumberjack who runs or works for a small scale logging operation that is independent from an established sawmill or lumber company. The gyppo system is one of two main patterns of the organization of logging labor in the Pacific Northwest, the other being the "company logger." Gyppo loggers were originally condemned by the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) as strikebreakers.

After the founding of a government-sponsored
company union, the Loyal Legion of Loggers and Lumbermen, weakened the influence of the IWW on the logging industry, gyppos were seen as a component of the timber business in a less ideologically charged context.

I resemble the less ideologically charged context myself, rather more than less from the literature of Ken Kesey. I so hate the unions. Union people here want to sh*t and get paid for it.

Do any authentic, working gyppo loggers still exist? Or anyone that used to be one who still lives that lifestyle? I am doing a television documentary on loggers and want to find a real deal gyppo if such thing still exists.

Do any authentic, working gyppo loggers still exist? Or anyone that used to be one who still lives that lifestyle? I am doing a television documentary on loggers and want to find a real deal gyppo if such thing still exists.
!! more "reality tv" confusion with the drama of past tries to show the real workings of the hard working logger man! !"GOOD LUCK" !!

Remember when that film student lady came in here asking all kinds of questions and wasting all kinds of time? I'm pretty sure that was just Yukon John messing around.

Seeing this thread made me think of it. I've been trying to get handsome Mike back in the fold here. I reached out to him and got his email just before I got permanently banned from that other place. It's definitely the third Reich over there.

Yep. No cussing or talking bad about anything remotely controversial over there. And you definitely don't want to question the mods or the owner's methods or reasons if you want to stay on there. The owner gets really bent out of shape in a hurry and takes things to a personal level real quick. There's a few decent guys over there but most of em are bore cutting queens and all day equipment operators that don't know how to run a saw.

Yep. No cussing or talking bad about anything remotely controversial over there. And you definitely don't want to question the mods or the owner's methods or reasons if you want to stay on there. The owner gets really bent out of shape in a hurry and takes things to a personal level real quick. There's a few decent guys over there but most of em are bore cutting queens and all day equipment operators that don't know how to run a saw.
true that .. shared a few words with the owner/king guru over there and his kingdom of peasant's or is that pheasant's..... lol

true that .. shared a few words with the owner/king guru over there and his kingdom of peasant's or is that pheasant's..... lol
Yep there's a lot of because I said so. I felt like I was 16 and my dad was hollering at me. When I'm talking about work I like to get a little colorful cuz gosh darn golly gee just doesn't cut it sometimes.

Yep there's a lot of because I said so. I felt like I was 16 and my dad was hollering at me. When I'm talking about work I like to get a little colorful cuz gosh darn golly gee just doesn't cut it sometimes.
? what can I say .... by gosh by gum by golly gee, sometimes I am right there with or with out you! lol BTW. I forgot "CRAP"?

Though the sight you folks is talking about was kinda fun thinking of other just as offensive words to use in place of the classic 7, and if you need help with an old skidder theys the guys to talk to...

but fer fallin timber and getting some production don't bother.

Haven't been over there in I don't know how long? There was one chowderhead who I think worked in a bucket truck. He was posting **** about the proper way to do things. Not even sure I have the site bookmarked anymore?

Back