Hack: Removing a chainsaw stuck in a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taking flak like a WWII bomber over Ploeste! I'm really glad I didn't post my rattlesnake video. Talking about 20/20 hindsight...

Fritz, sometimes the guys around here can be pretty brutal. Frankly, you got off pretty easy for that vid. :cool:

And please ignore some of the comments - a couple haters around here do nothing but stir up trouble.

Don't forget - every single person here was just as dumb as everyone else, and we all had to learn proper techniques and safety. Heck, some guys here who know better still don't use them! (but they know better than to post a video of it! :laugh:)

Enjoy your time with Jolly Logger. Maybe we should start a central Texas GTG! :clap:

Fritz, sometimes the guys around here can be pretty brutal. Frankly, you got off pretty easy for that vid. :cool:

And please ignore some of the comments - a couple haters around here do nothing but stir up trouble.

Don't forget - every single person here was just as dumb as everyone else, and we all had to learn proper techniques and safety. Heck, some guys here who know better still don't use them! (but they know better than to post a video of it! :laugh:)

Enjoy your time with Jolly Logger. Maybe we should start a central Texas GTG! :clap:
Lol not me, I was sharp as a tack, problem is; I been losing my mind every since I was 16 and knew it all :p I usually pound wedges on a stuck saw but mine only stick bucking as I'm usually winching the tree over!

Interesting analogy, but if you could influence the outcome of the coin toss by using reason and experience the odds change, don't they?
And education. Of course! we control our environment. If we go to work the next day and there is 3 inches of rain in the rain cup then we don't go on the hill. If its windy we don't go to work. If my chain brake breaks or trigger lock breaks in the middle of the day then I go get my other saw or put my spare trigger lock in.
There is very little you can't control. I have the right to refuse, the right to participate, and the right to be informed.
And you at least had enough education to know it would be looked down apon was the fact you didn't have any PPE on. So you were at least aware of one thing that you chose not to do. Not long ago here in BC the annual fatality rate in the logging industry was 50 people per year. It was an eccepted expectation that its just a dangerous industry and 50 die a year. That was only 11 years ago and 2014 there was 3 fatality. 2 fallers, One I knew very well. Anyway, the fatality rate was so low that they believe 0 fatalities is an achievable goal. Its about 5 fatalities per year now from 50 just over a decade ago.
That didn't come about because someone says
" try to be safer out there guys. Significant change! as a matter of fact the ground is getting harder....erm.. I'm getting older. No the ground gets harder

I am not kidding: Jeff at forestry forum .com banned me because of this video. I have posted fishing videos, rattlesnake videos, dog videos, boat repair videos, ranching videos, all kind of videos but this video has gotten me more hate mail than Hitler! You guys are passionate about this subject I must confess. And while I do not apologize I hope that everyone understands I am not trying to pee on their Wheaties. Good Heavens, look at my other videos before you conclude I'm the devil. I would much rather someone smile because of my post than snarl...

How many are confident enough in ax handling to chop their saw out of a stuck situation ?

Grew up poor with no CS, just old crosscut and DB ax.
Got first CS in 1971, promptly got it stuck bucking a downed 20" D fir, but learned well, have not stuck one since. Had mostly chopped downed trees.

The previous 20+ years using an ax was confident enough to chop the saw free without damaging the saw or the ax <G>

When I was young and first saw plastic wedges for sale, wondered who was dumb enough to buy plastic wedges, -- only those folks who hit their wedges with their ax or drove their wedges into a crosscut saw?

You haven't stuck a saw in over 40 years?! I have it happen maybe once or twice a month where I need to grab a Peavy or skid steer to move the log to get the saw free.

I suppose it all amounts to how much wood a person is cutting. I'd venture to guess there's a range of a cord or two a yr to many hundre(or thousand)

Fritz, I was going to crack on you too, about sawing with the saw. Was going to say, helps if you start it first, then you don't have to move it back and forth. But, since you've taken all the flack, in good nature I hope, I won't say those things. Oops, I already did, sorry. Since you stuck through all of this, I gotta say, "You are a better man than I", Joe.

I wish saw dealers would at least strongly recommend buying safety gear and taking some basic training. I know it wouldn't be good for business, but yikes, videos like this really demonstrate the need for more available training.

More available training would be nice, I''m off to my 1st 2 day'er in October. BUT, how many will actually attend. How many will actually look at their shiny new saw and admit they have no clue. The accidents I have seen over 25 years climbing (rocks) demanded that I do everything in my power to learn how to be damn good at this. Lugging a guy through the woods with his bones sticking out of his arm is warning enough.

And while I do not apologize I hope that everyone understands I am not trying to pee on their Wheaties.

And we are not trying to piss on your wheaties. There are many members here that would love to see you at a GTG and remember the bad old days before you knew how to run a saw. But above all we don't want your INsurance salesman to fill out unnecessary paperwork.

You sorta use your saw backwards it seems? Hell glad you did pop that video up. Get ya some plastic wedges that helps a lot. I giggled at you sir. Maybe me jolly will also teach you how to get a chain in shape and save you some work . I liked the video good on you for looking for help man. I've ****ed up before myself I got in a hurry years back and when a tree didn't go where it was supposed to I backed away and backed into a stump tree brushed me on the way down. I have experience but you can get hurt happens all the time I take my time more now I burnt about 6 marlboros after that incident I like the video though good stuff hope to see you post a better one next time with stuff going as planned

Back