Had a bark fire!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I had a 16x7' trailer full of old bark which fell off from a recent firewood splitting session, and it was dry after a week in the sun. I was going to throw it out, but it was chilly tonight. I gotta tell you, bark makes a GREAT fire, the patterns and the blue flames are cool to watch, and it throws out a lot of heat. And I got a bed of hot coals around 4" deep in just a couple of hours.

attachment.php

Dean

Those are beautiful flames. I had my first bark fire when I deposited a bucket of ashes from our stove out by the pile of bark and splitter trash one evening. I was up in the bathroom twenty minutes later getting ready to step in the shower, looked out the window, and flames were shooting up six feet, ready to spread to the farmer's field behind us. So I end up running out in my jeans; no shirt no shoes, with buckets of water. I have since learned to let the bucket sit a day before dumping it.

I pile up my bark and borrow a chipper/shredder once a year. It makes nice mulch for the flower beds.

after reading this post it's a little cool out here today and looks like it's going to start raining i have a bunch of bark a few weeks old that's been siting in the nice sun for a week. so i went out and grabbed some and your right it burns real good and hot.

i am now saving it in my fire starter wood pile ;-) brought my house up from 65F to 68F in 15 Min's ;-) i was going to throw the bark out but after burning it i now think it would be a waste to throw out good free heat

thanks
Jason

buckwheat said:
Those are beautiful flames. I had my first bark fire when I deposited a bucket of ashes from our stove out by the pile of bark and splitter trash one evening. I was up in the bathroom twenty minutes later getting ready to step in the shower, looked out the window, and flames were shooting up six feet, ready to spread to the farmer's field behind us. So I end up running out in my jeans; no shirt no shoes, with buckets of water. I have since learned to let the bucket sit a day before dumping it.

I pile up my bark and borrow a chipper/shredder once a year. It makes nice mulch for the flower beds.

Letting them sit a day does not do the job. Hot embers buried in ash will stay that way for a loooonnnngg time. I have burn scars to show that from an old burn pile that I stepped in several weeks after the last fire. All my stove ash get spread on my various (so-called) lawns (weed patches more accurate). In my case, that is simple as my stove has an ash pan and simple slinging motion gets a nice even spread.

Harry K

Well, this morning there was more ash in the fireplace than for a whole week of burning firewood! Damn that stuff makes ash! It insulates itself too so it was still glowing red this morning, and wood never does that.

bark for the nation

Many folks burn Douglas Fir bark. In-laws don't waste nothing, burn red fir all the time. They've got lots of oak, maple and alder that they use too. They understand what represents a good or great firewood. Its just that red fir bark 4"-8" thick works well, especially when mixed in with regular firewood.

I always use the bark from splitting as kindling. There is always tons of it after splitting and it usually has small bits of wood mixed in.

Latest posts

Back