Had to quit first logging job after fitting in perfectly. How should I proceed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The contractor who build my house had previously become one of the largest siding contractors in the region - many supplier paid trips to exotic places, etc. - but found himself working harder with 30+ employees and making less money than he did by himself. He walked away from it and when back to building houses one at a time with no employees. Less stress and a better living.

Matt, my contractor taught me something that NML has been stressing to you about hauling your own logs. As I tried to save money by doing things myself or getting him to do with me, he would say to me "It is hard to beat a man at his own game." In other words, generally speaking a dry wall man can hang dry wall cheaper than me (and better), a plumber can plumb cheaper than me ... . I didn't agree with him at first nor did I like his advice but over time I realized that what he said was true.

Ron

Finding someone to haul in this area is harder to find than I thought. I talked to a logging company that own two trucks and he said he wished he had 1-3 more trucks. This dry weather has every truck around hauling logs I guess.

Somehow I knew you were going to say that. Both of us should take a few days off and offer our "help". Say a two man skidder crew. We can take turns running over stuff and hooking to the stump instead of the stem. Ron
IDK, I get the feeling you are actually somewhat competent in the woods (no pun intended). I can assure you........I am not:cry:

you two guys would do just fine i bet.

Yup. I wouldn't mind having those two around. Ron is level headed with a good sense of humor and he can run machinery.
Jon is a little different...okay, he's a lot different... but not always in a bad way. I think he'd probably have fun. It would be nice to have a good medic available instead of the usual "keep this dressing clean and for Christ sake quit bleeding all over everything" approach that we usually see now.

And while I'm thinking about it and back on topic...Matt, have you had First Aid training? If not, get some. And keep First Aid kits in every rig. Look in them when you get them. Know what's in there and how to get your hands on it fast.

Pfft....As if............She proposed to me:D

Somehow I don't believe this... not one bit...

R+J, I'd work with both of ya, probably wouldn't get anything done on account of everyone laughing at me... but we could call it a good day when no one gets hurt, minus the stomach cramps...

Y'all are way too kind. I'd drop trees on everything, douse everybody in hydro, and run over saws with machinery. I have a track record...........

I guess I could let ya drag chokers... and bump knots, maybe... and the missus really could use a bath..., just don't go to messing with any fluids...

Speaking of hoes, Kandi (my hoe) could use a paint job and a good, Hard, Scubbing... and a swing cylinder packed... bring your own "tool" and trust me wear a rain coat...

Gologit, I was a junior firefighter when I was a kid, but SCVA training wouldn't do much good in the woods. I think that is about all I remember. I know things happen fast. When I proceeded in all of this I told you about the drunk skidder driver, but the owner almost got me too. He was knocking down trees and I was topping. He got hung in a tree on a back cut. Well he had me grab the rope of a chainsaw and jumped on the skidder himself and went to free the pressure off the saw. He somehow flung a tree top and I jumped back. That little 2" limb looked like it was flying at me at 1000mph. I don't know if it was under the main tree or what but it scared me. That guy knew what he was doing and about got me. Things can happen fast and I do need first aid training I am sure. It doesn't take drunks or idiots for things to still go wrong.

I'm thinking y'all need to come to Kansas and play with some large Osage Orange trees... They may not be 90' tall, but 3' diameter Hedge has some weight and will make a 390xp groan... Plus it would be fun to run a skidder and stuff... Just saying.

Back