Hand saw pruning saw recomendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was looking at the fiskars d handle pruning saw. I have a lot of ash that needs to come down that is 5 inches or less in diamater and let's face it I get tired of sharpening and cleaning saws every time I cut something. I use my fiskars pole saw a lot to cut stuff and like the blade on it. Cut one down with a hatchet today. Just kind of looking for something to get out there and do some cutting without the noise and fuel and cleaning. It's nice exercise and good to get outside.

Santa needs a stocking stuffer too..

That's what I was thinking since I really like my pole saw and x27 but then I was reading about the Corona. They are both like 25ish dollars at lowes or homedepot.
if you were trimming an orchard or tree plantation you might want something more pricey as in gas powered?? stay away from the big box store battery/electric models! there a joke!

if you were trimming an orchard or tree plantation you might want something more pricey as in gas powered?? stay away from the big box store battery/electric models! there a joke!

It's perfect work for my little poulan but then I have to clean it, fuel and oil it, and file the chain all the time. I'm basically cutting 20 foot tall 5 inch poles. That's what these ash trees look like. At the moment I want to get them on the ground and knock the branches off. A hatchet and decent pruning saw would make quick work of that. It's more of a maintenance thing than a fire wood thing. I was doing with the pole saw but it's a bit awkward to apply sideways pressure and forward and backward movement from 5 feet away.

I'll save the chainsaws for the 60 feet tall ash. These are toothpicks.

I bought myself a Silky folding saw as an indulgence a few years back. It is really nice, especially for trail pruning, etc. That said, I have also used a number of home center grade Corona and Fiskars hand saws that did really well too!

As with chainsaws, a sharp blade (yes, I said 'blade'!) is important. Conventional tooth hand saws are easy to file with a hardware store triangular file - I have brought some garage sale pruning saws and pole saws back that way. The Japanese style tri-edge tooth blades require a $20 'feather file', and a bit more patience (good videos on YouTube). Or you can buy and replace cheaper saws.

The larger saws look like they would be good for larger diameter branches. Look for one with a curved blade.

The folding saws are just so convenient to carry with you, as are the narrow ones a lot of arborists carry into the canopy.

Maybe more than one? 'HSAD'?

Philbert

I need to stop reading reviews. They got me thinking I need a silky. The corona had 5 stars but apparently isn't as sharp as it should be and the fiskars has 4.5 stars. Japanese and European are sharper and the corona is Korean made not Japanese like it said. Damn reviews.

I might just stick to the brand I trust. Fiskars cant let me down.

I recently bought a $90 Stihl hand saw to replace an older cheaper (different brand) saw. Very happy with it, but I understand Silky is the best.

But what does the best mean? It costs the most and works the best? I have 6 chainsaws why would I buy the one that costs the most. Also asked this question when I used a hand saw to cut a Christmas tree. If it costs 25 dollars and works good then it's the best because again I'll start up a saw and save 100 dollars. A ms660 is the best but I dont own one and have gotten by just fine... see where I'm going. If it costs 100 dollars less and takes 30 seconds longer than that's not a bad thing. I'd be curious to know how a stihl hand saw compares to a cheaper one or more expensive one. Their chains are awesome.

I was looking at the fiskars d handle pruning saw. I have a lot of ash that needs to come down that is 5 inches or less in diamater and let's face it I get tired of sharpening and cleaning saws every time I cut something. I use my fiskars pole saw a lot to cut stuff and like the blade on it. Cut one down with a hatchet today. Just kind of looking for something to get out there and do some cutting without the noise and fuel and cleaning. It's nice exercise and good to get outside.

Santa needs a stocking stuffer too..

I use a Silky. They're a very well made tool but it's not like your arm won't get tired if you use one.

I don't make it a habit of cutting five inches with one, three is good, especially on soft wood.

You can get one for less than $100. I'm talking handsaws, you may be looking at something longer if you're taking it into the woods.

Also my polesaw is a Fanno and it cuts really well.

I use a Silky. They're a very well made tool but it's not like your arm won't get tired if you use one.

I don't make it a habit of cutting five inches with one, three is good, especially on soft wood.

You can get one for less than $100. I'm talking handsaws, you may be looking at something longer if you're taking it into the woods.

Also my polesaw is a Fanno and it cuts really well.

It's like a notch and a back cut on a 5 inch tree. I saw the 10 inch for 63 on Amazon but I'd like to see it in person before I buy. I do like the bigger saws a lot more but the price is up there. It's kind of a hobby thing not a survival thing.

A bigger saw could be a good choice for what you describe; does not sound like something you plan to backpack with. These look comfortable to use, but a highly curved blade would be more appropriate for pruning; might be hard to make clean, formal notches with them, but that might not be an issue (Corona, Fiskars, Fanno).

Screen shot 2019-11-26 at 10.20.23 PM.png Screen shot 2019-11-26 at 10.21.18 PM.png
Screen shot 2019-11-26 at 10.27.02 PM.png

I like my folding saws because they are compact, and easy to carry for occasional, or 'just-in-case' use too. Probably not as comfortable for heavy use.

Philbert

A bigger saw could be a good choice for what you describe; does not sound like something you plan to backpack with. These look comfortable to use, but a highly curved blade would be more appropriate for pruning; might be hard to make clean, formal notches with them, but that might not be an issue (Corona, Fiskars, Fanno).

View attachment 775985 View attachment 775986
View attachment 775987

I like my folding saws because they are compact, and easy to carry for occasional, or 'just-in-case' use too. Probably not as comfortable for heavy use.

Philbert

The lowes by me has that 18 inch razor tooth corona saw for 24.99. Seems like a no brainer if it's as decent and the reviews say it is. Even if I never use it I'm only out 25 dollars.

Back