hand sawing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs111999

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I burn 9 inch lodgepole and take it out of the woods in 7 ft length...I will chainsaw half of it but would like to set up crib and handsaw half in the shed.
Looking for a sturdy buck saw or 1 man rig that can be sharpened easily and is good quality....any ideas??

Nine inch is where you move up from small limb to sizable diameter for hand-sawing. For hand sawing, you want Silky blades, high-dollar but worth every penny, Japanese steel that's sharper than anything else out there. Can be resharpened but best off replacing when dull. For stuff as large as 9,"if you're determined to do it manually, you might graduate to a one-man crosscut saw --I guess they're still made, I used one back in the day.

Nine inch is where you move up from small limb to sizable diameter for hand-sawing. For hand sawing, you want Silky blades, high-dollar but worth every penny, Japanese steel that's sharper than anything else out there. Can be resharpened but best off replacing when dull. For stuff as large as 9,"if you're determined to do it manually, you might graduate to a one-man crosscut saw --I guess they're still made, I used one back in the day.

Yes to that. The "Fat Max saw" is not at all good for firewood, teeth way too fine. One can find one man cross cut saws in 2nd hand stores. Another one that is easier to find is a buck or bow saw

https://www.google.com/search?q=buc.....69i57j0l5.3887j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Darn, I see Fiskars has one for $10.98. Jeez, another 'gotta have' tool for me!!

Latest posts

Back