• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Hand warmer question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redclayorangeclay

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a jonsered 670 super. I am restoring it but am curious about the generator for the hand warmers. Does the generator take away from the horse power of the saw? I was thinking about removing it all together because it doesn't have the actual heating elements anymore. I will restore this at a later date.

I can tell you two ways that a heated handle saw robs power. First is that the flywheel is heavier, and takes more power to spin up and accelerate. Once it’s running at top speed it isn’t using any more power to keep it there. The second is that the magnets on the flywheel that interact with the generator resist movement as the flywheel magnet is attracted to the generator magnet. Spin a crank by hand without a generator and the flywheel turns easily. Spin a crank by hand with the generator attached and you’ll feel the flywheel resist moving past the point when the magnets are closest together.

Now, I have several heated handle saws, and I can tell you I don’t notice them being any heavier or slower than their non-heated version. I don’t race my saws, and being 0.03 second faster in a cut bucking up a log doesn’t matter to me. What does matter is having heat when I want it. And I would never buy a saw without it now that I know how nice it is.

Back