Harbor Freight 22 ton 9hp splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a feeling HF never realized how many of these log splitters they would sell at this price. Judging from the size of this company and it's longevity, they will honor all orders today and in the near future. This company tests the waters for winners, and they do not walk away from them.

I would buy one today if I could store it somewhere and use it this spring. However, that's also because I also know that the 9 Hp engine will also pull a 16 GPM pump, and I could easily upgrade it. In short, this is a typical everyday mechanics dream come true.

hope they do make good on it... for the price... I couldn't build it. I had already bought 2 of the blue greyhound engines when they had them on clearance to build my own.

24 Ton HF log splitter

I think that I got the last 24 ton HF splitter, I see it has been removed from the website, by the way it has a 4.5" cylinder. I hope to get it running this weedend.
Anyone have this one? Greyhound ITEM # 66663

9 HP, 24 Ton Log Splitter

image_16384.jpg

It's on sale right now for $749 and with the 20% off coupon that makes it 599.80 plus the freight which puts it right back at 749 with tax out the door for me.

I could not pull any specs other than it has a 9hp greyhound engine with an 11gpm pump. there is no reference to what cylinder size, etc... just wondering if it was comparable to the rental I had this year which had a 4hp gx motor on it. Seems like a lot of hp for an 11 gpm pump.

got the email that hf shipped the splitter... cant wait to get it... i'll post pics when it gets here.

Dang thats unbelievably cheap. I hope one of yall will post a review.

Specs.

It's got a 4.6 inch I.D. cyl so 4.6 x 3.14 = 14.44 in^2 14.44 x 2500 psi = 36,110 pounds 36,110 / 2000 (one ton) = 18.05 tons. Even if you go up to 3000 psi it's 21.66 tons not the advertised 24 tons. I don't know if I'd go 3000 psi with a Chinese made cyl. Most valves are set at 2500 psi. It's gonna be sort of slow with the 11GPM pump but at that price you could get a 16 GPM pump that the 9 horse engine will easily drive. I've got a Briggs 8 horse on mine with the 16 gal pump and it is puuurrfect.

See manual here....... http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/66000-66999/66663.pdf

See what they want for the free replacement warranty. At that price the warranty might be worth it!

Good luck,

Roy

Couple things that should be done on the hf splitter.

If you can or have someone relocate the return line 2 or 3 inches lower than it is mounted. ( that is if it is still installed at the same height as the fill/breather port.) or as an option I added a small aux tank mounted above and fed into the fill port. prevents air entrainment in oil.
Replace the steel high pressure line with a hose and replace all 90 deg 1/2" fittings with 45 deg. hy-flow ones ( these 2 items are related to excessive heat build up)

I agree with a cage or deflector over the pump and that side of the engine.

The guides for the push plate - weld the spacers to the push plate, then bolt the lower plates on. Leave a little side clearance there though.( otherwise they are forever getting knocked out of alignment allowing the push plate to wonder all over, which will eventually cause a problem with the cylinder mount)

It is not necessary to unhitch to use unit in either mode. It is a pita to put the support leg down and slide the keeper pin in. Unless you are a nice big burly sort it almost takes 2 or a jack to do this. ( I replaced it with a crank down trailer type mounted off the side of the beam.)
When I got mine , some 10 years ago, it came in on a real slow boat from guess where.
Pump , cylinder, lovejoy coupler,Brigs motor are still OEM splitting about 10 cords a year.
best wishes, enjoy Chris

It's got a 4.6 inch I.D. cyl so 4.6 x 3.14 = 14.44 in^2 14.44 x 2500 psi = 36,110 pounds 36,110 / 2000 (one ton) = 18.05 tons. Even if you go up to 3000 psi it's 21.66 tons not the advertised 24 tons. I don't know if I'd go 3000 psi with a Chinese made cyl. Most valves are set at 2500 psi. It's gonna be sort of slow with the 11GPM pump but at that price you could get a 16 GPM pump that the 9 horse engine will easily drive. I've got a Briggs 8 horse on mine with the 16 gal pump and it is puuurrfect.

See manual here....... http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/66000-66999/66663.pdf

See what they want for the free replacement warranty. At that price the warranty might be worth it!

Good luck,

Roy

Oooops sorry the cyl on the 30 ton model is the 4.6 inch i.d. The math above applies to the 30 ton model. So the actual tonnage for the for the 24 ton model wil be less unfortunately. @ 2500 psi for the 4.1 inch cyl. you get 16 tons @ 3000 psi you get 19.3 tons. Same as my splitter and it's pretty unstoppable!

Roy

Can this split a 30" round, say 20" long of Doug. Fir. If not 30", how big can it split. Anybody know the max diameter of wood this can handle? Sometimes I get some big wood. thanks

Last edited:
It will split it, just do not put some big twisted or knotted up round on the beam larger than the foot plate height or you will risk bending the beam and foot plate. ( got the T shirt)

Price is hard to believe, so you have some spare change for repairs and enhancements.

It does swing vertically, right? If so, that's a huge plus. If you run it horizontally, note that a big log will split in half and fall on the hoses. So, consider a simple shield to protect them and the engine.

The 11 gpm pump can be replaced for a few coins if it runs slowly. The engine is oversized, but that's OK. Run it at about half speed. I assume it's a 2-stage pump. If so, then overall, this machine is a steal at $750. Enjoy yourself. You have power galore. I might pick one up myself. HF amazes me sometimes.

I dont understand why the engine would be oversized. If you run it at half speed it wouldnt turn 3600 rpms. Just curious.

Running at 1/2 speed will not greatly affect the speed of the ram, saves on fuel consumption. 98% of the time that is more than enough. I almost never run mine wide open, usually at 1/2-3/4 throttle. Might take a few seconds longer to split some nasty piece.

There was a thread a while back where someone reviewed one of these. Can't seem to find it now but it was an older post. If I remember right the guy was initially pleased but after getting into some big crotchy oak the footplate first bent, later broke off. After welding it back on and strengthening the foot the beam bent. Then he started a new thread of rebuilding it using a new beam but all the pump motor and cylinder from it.

Its in at the freight depot. Looks like HF didn't authorize liftgate service, not a problem though since I have access to a driver with a 14' stake with liftgate.

on another note... Looks like it does not have the subaru 9.0hp engine but a Loncin 9.0hp engine... is this a chi-copy of the Subaru? I was looking forward to the subie since I could get the generator muffler setup to quiet it down. Guess for the price I can't complain... Ill figure out some way to quiet it down.

This is the motor it think it has... I'll know more and post when I get home from work.

View attachment 215528

EDit;

After a quick google search looks like it is a copy of a Honda GX270...

View attachment 215529

Last edited:
Looks like a nice mystery crate their! Let us know how the build goes and how it does. Pics would be good too. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one.

$700 to me is a good bit more inviting then at least $1100 for a Huskee 22 ton after it's said and done. I'd rather buy American but green backs are tight these days.

Finally got my garage cleaned up this evening. Gonna try to put a seal in my 7 ton Powerhouse electric soon. It's been good for what it is but I've been squirmin for a gas retracter for a while now. :laugh:

I know its been a few months, but I have been so busy and the now fiancee is off at her sisters in LA for the weekend, I had time to put my splitter together. It has been clouding my driveway for months...

View attachment 236117

View attachment 236118

View attachment 236119

View attachment 236120

One question tho, what kind of hydraulic fluid to use? I have been seeing people using ATF, but I am in kalifornia... it doesn't really get that cold here. I am gonna head down to MAO mart tomorrow to get some other stuff and thought I would get oil and fluid for it while I was there.

Last edited:
AW32 hydraulic oil will be fine. You will need a 5 gallon pail, might not use all of it, but it is slightly cheaper than buying five separate gallons.

New HBR-FRT splitter

I know its been a few months, but I have been so busy and the now fiancee is off at her sisters in LA for the weekend, I had time to put my splitter together. It has been clouding my driveway for months...

View attachment 236117

View attachment 236118

View attachment 236119

View attachment 236120

One question tho, what kind of hydraulic fluid to use? I have been seeing people using ATF, but I am in kalifornia... it doesn't really get that cold here. I am gonna head down to MAO mart tomorrow to get some other stuff and thought I would get oil and fluid for it while I was there.

Welcome to splitter ownership! Best of luck.

Roy

Back