Hard Cover for a Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandhill, glad you find this interesting. It has been a challenge.

I do have to report a failure. I was setting up and squaring the cover. Clamped in the collar beams. Everything was going good, then one side just cracked on me. What a disappointment. I was so close. But all is not lost. I’m going with my plan B. Which is to convert to a flat top with glued and screwed sides. I just have to think on the order of doing plan B. See if I can, still, save that peaked roof. I weighed all the parts for the top and my total weight now is 3lbs. 9 oz. One Failure.

This morning I baked 3 loaves of French Baguette bread. After the failure in the shop I came in, cut off a piece , spread some butter and it was good, good, good. One Success.

I got some time to work on my, now, Plan B project. I made a hot wire cutter to cut and square up the old top piece. Cut the sides on table saw. Glued and screwed together. I may remove a few screws and replace them with glued wooden dowels. Just a thought for now. As is, the weight is 3 lbs. 5 oz. A few internal brace panels will be added to help hold the shape. I need to tow the splitter to my cement slab so I can level the splitter then level the cover.

I’ll make a separate cover for the tow bar and hitch. This cover will be removed only when I need to tow the splitter to a new location.

Added covers will go over the engine on left side and tank on the right. Not sure if engine cover should be removable by itself. Maybe one piece is best.

0C66D1CA-5D45-4CA6-A3E7-B78B5EB0E86B.jpegF55C49AD-94CB-42E4-84B6-B30C55CBBF23.jpegF043A72D-4AD8-4633-A449-8FB90AED9E76.jpeg

I cover my motor with a used metal wash tub, then use a large heavy duty grill cover. Works pretty well, but the grill cover is ready to be replaced after a couple years.

Back