hard hat question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate66n1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi all, figure I'd ask here first. I recently picked up a McDonald aluminum hard hat and I was wondering if there's any place I can get a new or aftermarket suspension system for it. I seen baileys had the four point systems but this is a six point. All that really bad on it is the leather that fits around your head. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks Nate

I have an almost new looking mac T 6pt in the mail. Im sure the suspension will be a little less than fresh. To hell with chinese skull crushers though. I had to get some staples after being torpedoed. The chity thin aluminum gave before the suspension did what it was supposed to, (only one clip broke) but that tin can aluminum dug right in, it didn't have any dents to weaken it either . I can take 1 knuckle and make a big dent in one of those POS things. Ansi must be on the wine...

Yea everything on mine is in great shape except for the leather head band. I'm thinking I can make something work to fix er up.

personally a 6 point mac should be put the way it was designed. lot's of 4 point macs around to use. someone handy at sewing should be able to make a proper suspension for it. not as many 6ers around .

Nice avatar Nate :msp_w00t:

Thanks, and yes that's me behind the wheel. I think that's what I'll try to do first is repair the headband then revert to the other options mentioned above.

Last edited:
How do I upload photos now that the toolbar is missing? Id like to upload a picture of it so all you's can give me a better direction. Nevermind I think I got it haha

Attachments

• 20131005_085701.jpg
    20131005_085701.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 70
Hel that one is in great shape, most of the ones I've found are missing the liner altogether, the clips are the hardest part, the rest should be totally rebuildable, all the stuff is available at craft stores, even the super thin leather they used on the old liners

The trick is either swallowing your mannish pride and setting foot in a fabric store or finding a willing woman to do it for you, and no you can't call mom for this one:msp_w00t:

Hel that one is in great shape, most of the ones I've found are missing the liner altogether, the clips are the hardest part, the rest should be totally rebuildable, all the stuff is available at craft stores, even the super thin leather they used on the old liners

The trick is either swallowing your mannish pride and setting foot in a fabric store or finding a willing woman to do it for you, and no you can't call mom for this one:msp_w00t:

I know I might sound like a dumba$$ for asking this but the leather piece that is tore, is that just the liner or is that the main structure of the headband? I know there's a pretty stiff price of somethin inside the leather but I'm not familiar with these hats quite yet. I know I can't ask for moms help but how about grandma

I'm thinking the leather is just there to soak up sweat.

However if the leather is rotted, then the cloth backing probably isn't to far behind. Most of those older 6 points have cotton liners, cotton when it rots doesn't always change color it just shreds when you really wanted to count on it, so you might want to think about changing the whole harness out.

I do like the idea of some burly stinky logger joining a quilting bee, and hitting on a bunch of grandmas trying to convince one of them to fix his cute little hat...:biggrin:

I made up my mind im going to redo the whole headband part and leave all the other stuff alone. Do you think there is a sewingsite out there somewhere? Hahaha!

Latest posts

Back