Hard vs sprocket bar for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripturner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking for advice on the best choice for a new bar and the pros and cons. Sprocket nose or hard nose bar? I plan to run a 36 inch Alaskan mill with an 090. Where are you guys getting the best deals on bars. Thanks for helping a rookie.

When I started milling I used a hard tip bar as that was what I had. I have long since switched to sprocket or rollers(helper handle) with zero issues. I would not buy a hard tip bar for milling, just make sure if you buy a sprocket tip that replacement tips are available.

Cannot help on best place to buy, have no idea who sell what anymore.

I have used a 42"a hardnose that came with a Chin 070 that I no longer use. I used an auxiliary oiler and kept a lot of canola on the tip. Had no problems.

You get an extra inch or two on a hardnose because you can clamp it into the mill closer to the tip. But I wouldn't choose one today. My saw's health is more important than an extra inch or two.

Like Buzz, I use an older saw, 70's vintage Homelite Super 1050 with a hard nose. I had a roller nose but liked the hard nose for the extra length. Used it with a 36" bar. A few years ago I bought a new 660 with a 36" roller. I see little difference between the saws. Mill mostly Red and Chestnut Oak.

Thank you everyone for your replies to my question. I ended up buying a roller tip bar from Stihl. I got a 41 inch bar which should allow me to utilize a 36-inch bar with the mill. I am very much looking forward to trying out this large beast of a saw!

Back