Hardy dripping water from pop off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy steve

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Before I buy new aqua stat. Trying to diagnose problem. So pop off is dripping water . I can tap gently and stops. Soon as I open ash door or stove it starts dripping again. I thought aqua stat may be bad letting over heat. I turned down to 145 which with small house still heats fine. Still drips I don’t see smoke from doors . But for hell of it changed ash door seal. Still drips. Any help thanks

No it’s not pressured. Crow I’ve checked everything mechanically I could.The pop off valve is on the hot water heat for domestic water. Showers etc. I always keep gas hot water heater on pilot during winter .

This was kind of confusing. Your OWB operation should have nothing to do with your DHW side.

What is the pressure in your domestic system? What is the relief rated for? Maybe you need an expansion tank added to your DHW plumbing...

This was kind of confusing. Your OWB operation should have nothing to do with your DHW side.

What is the pressure in your domestic system? What is the relief rated for? Maybe you need an expansion tank added to your DHW plumbing...
The Hardy’s have copper rubbing inside water tank . So the relief valve is on Stove. It’s same as hot water heater in basement I remember, but don’t remember pressure

Domestic water relief is 150psi a regular boiler is 30 psi. Does it have a pressure gauge? If its operating at normal pressure then change the blow off and go from there. It shouldn't blow off unless the pressure is to high. Is there an expansion tank anywhere in the system? If so that is probably bad as well as the blow off. I dont know much about OWBs just regular heating stuff.

Still waiting to hear what this "pop off" or "blow off" is.

I'm guessing it's a T&P valve, and if so, replace it. Common item to leak.

Hardy steve, talked to my buddy today that has a hardy, said his did the same thing, new pop off and he was good to go.

If nothing has changed with the system then replace the part that is failing. If it runs correctly why over think it. And it's cheaper than an aquastat. A lot of the time they blow off and they never seal again and leak.

The valve in question is on the DHW side. Mine went bad this year. While you could pry open the valve to flush a goober that could be preventing the valve to set flush, you are most likely looking at replacing. It is a very easy fix. Close your cold water-in valve, screw off, screw on.

And make sure you get the proper new one. A boiler relief grabbed off the shelf by mistake will be all wrong & be letting pressure off all the time.

Back