Hardy H4: DHW is only warm!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayned24

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm having trouble with my domestic hot water for my Hardy H4. It's been great all year, but the last two days the water has just been mildly warm. Any idea what could cause that? The heat of my house is just fine and the heat in my tank is the correct temperature. Thanks in advance.

I believe it's sidearm? It's all one system. I have 4 lines (2 intake and 2 outtake, I believe) running from my Hardy to the house. One runs to my hot water tank and I have valves turned off to bypass that. I'm gonna be honest, I'm not 100% how it all works. I just now how to get it started when heating season begins and I know what valves I need to turn off. This is only my 2nd year dealing with it all.

Unfortunately, I'm not real familiar with sidearm but couple things that I would check:
- air trapped where the water isn't utilizing the entire heat exchanger (sidearm)
-build up in heat exchanger not allowing good transfer of heat
-pump is weak not allowing enough water to flow from the stove to the sidearm

Check the temp of the lines going from the Hardy to the heat exchanger and the return line to see what the temp drop is. Little heat sensor guns are pretty cheap at Menards/Lowes/Home Depot.

I have an H2. My domestic hot water goes from the water supply to the hardy. Goes through a coil of 60 feet of copper tubing inside the stove and then to the hot water heater. I use it as a storage tank. There is no pumps at all. It moves just be water pressure. I would double check and make sure you don't have a valve that is letting cold water into your hot water tank. Is your hot water tank on still? Do you ever hear it running? You probably shouldn't.

Latest posts

Back