Harvest this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sore back jim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
752.jpeg
Concerned that due to the 30 degree lean of this shell bark hickory, getting flat slabs will be extremely difficult. I e heard that the lean causes problems in the wood that as it dries will warp badly. Any experience good or bad?

I'd say go for it, but I'm a milling novice. BobL above me knows what he is talking about though. If you do cut it, for milling, firewood, or otherwise... be extremely careful. Hickory is prone to barberchairing. Heavily leaning trees are prone to barberchairing, so you are doubling down as far as that goes. No slabs or firewood are worth your life. If you aren't familiar with the techniques to mitigate the risk, I would rescind my prior advice to go for it. Better safe than sorry. If you aren't comfortable getting it down and still want to mill it, I am in Columbus for awhile avoiding humans. I would be more than happy to come help get it to the ground safely so you can do your thing. No offense intended if you do know what you are doing. I haven't a clue as to your skill level and don't want to see anybody get hurt.

There are some good videos on YouTube about cutting leaning trees. Putting a ratchet straps around it just above your cut is a good idea.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatal
There are some good videos on YouTube about cutting leaning trees. Putting a ratchet straps around it just above your cut is a good idea.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Thanks gents
I don't need fire wood so this old monster will live on. Plenty of straighter targets to hone in on

Back