Harvester vs. Feller Buncher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering if you could tell me the difference between a harvester and a feller buncher? Looks like they serve the same purpose, but are called by different names.

Buncher doesn't delimb or CTL (cut to length). Just cuts trees and drops in bunches.

Guess I should have looked more at the thread, nearly 10 yrs old.

We use a buncher, grapple skidders and stroke delimber. Handle it all tree length (max about 50ft)

A fixed harvester head such as a Rolly is capable of setting the stem anywhere you choose. Just like a buncher and unlike a dange head. They’re sometimes referred to as a total control head. They’re almost exclusively mounted on a tracked carrier because of the weight of the whole tree being supported to its final resting place by the machine. While they may be used as a buncher, it’s poor use considering the cost 4-5 times as much as a simple felling head.

What model?
Not quite sure what you mean.
Here's a Barko 240 with a Skidmore fixed harvester head, there's lots of Fabtek 2000 4 roller heads mounted on conversion machines as well as 415, 425, and JD 653 like I have.

To price for efficiency look at the price of a Quadco head you might be surprised plus you only have one machine to do everything vs two or three.
2db69effa505fe931e56011d4edd3afb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I understand your point of view. I don’t understand why anybody would run an expensive, complicated and somewhat maintenance intensive appliance for an operation that pays much less than it’s intended use unless it was an emergency or very rare occasion.

We run a Timber jack 2618 and Komatsu 220 with Denharco stroke delimber.

Cut, skid to landing with 648 grapple skidders, delimb, pile, haul with self loading truck.

Works ok, we are just 2 people + a hired hand or two (who don't run equipment)

The roller heads don't usually work well around here aside from on spruce, and then it puts 10 million holes in the log, so can't use for house logs.

We run a Timber jack 2618 and Komatsu 220 with Denharco stroke delimber.

Cut, skid to landing with 648 grapple skidders, delimb, pile, haul with self loading truck.

Works ok, we are just 2 people + a hired hand or two (who don't run equipment)

The roller heads don't usually work well around here aside from on spruce, and then it puts 10 million holes in the log, so can't use for house logs.
A lot of that comes down to operator as well as how the machine is setup alder I have to lighten up my feed wheel pressure, where as our softwoods I have to watch my knives digging. We use to do tree length for a skidder or grapple cat as well as CTL long log 36 & 40's bunch in the row for them to pick up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back