Has anyone Heard of doing this, or Done this while Mixing Gas/Mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Hopf

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My Great Uncle was a General Mechanic by Trade. He also was almost like a Genius, and if someone couldn't figure out how to fix something, well he could.
When he used to mix up his Gas Mix, he would mix up 2 Gallons at a time. When he measured he would put in one Full Gallon, and add 9/10's of the other Gallon of Gas, to 1 can of Two Gallon Oil Mix.
He always said, that a little less gas would not hurt anything, but a little less oil will. Sure he said, that there would be a little bit of smoke, because of the 1/10th of gas less.
I now have 3 of his Chain Saws, that he was the original owner of them since new, and that is how he always mixed his Gas/Mix. My Dad did it that way, and I've been doing it this way ever since I've been a Chain Saw Owner.
So I was wondering if anyone else has heard of or doing it this way of Mixing Gas/Mix, or not. I don't know, but there has been a lot of Seizures posted here on AS, with fuel related problems, so I thought I'd share this with you.
Bruce.

It's interesting what we will do to gain a little peace of mind. I add one gallon of gas to a 2 gallon can, add my Stihl Utra (the bottle that makes 2.5gallons to get 50:1) and add one more gallon of gas. It comes out to roughly 40:1. Peace of mind achieved!!

I have not heard of your Pop's method before. My guess is that it was just something he did to buy himself a little insurance.

I've been told, that the Oil's and Fuels today, are not like what they used to be. Ethanol Gas, and Bio Diesel, and less and less Foscil Fuels, and Sulfur Blends being not like the used to be for Environment Reasons. It doesn't hurt to have a little Added Protection, or Assurances, especially with the Cost of Repairs, or Replacement Equipment, if you can't do your own Repair.
Even the Big Three of Farm Equipment, John Deere, Case/International, and Massey Ferguson, claim that you should use some type of Additive in the Diesel Fuel, and Oils, because of this changes to the Oils, and Fuels.
Bruce.

I use 93 octane- no ethanol and use the 2.5 gal size bottle of Stihl Ultra to 2 galons of gas- like andrethegiant70. Has worked fine in all my 2strokes.

Looked into AV gas but having to mix laquer thinner + gas + fuel for my stock saws seemed more trouble than any gain.

2Door

I use a 2.5 gal can. Pour 7 oz of oil in empty can. Add 2.2 gallons of premium fuel at the pump. That makes 40.2 to 1 mix, and that's close enough for me. All my saws run fine on it, even the MS 361. They also seem to like the premium fuel much better than ethanol.

I use 93 octane- no ethanol and use the 2.5 gal size bottle of Stihl Ultra to 2 galons of gas- like andrethegiant70. Has worked fine in all my 2strokes.

Looked into AV gas but having to mix laquer thinner + gas + fuel for my stock saws seemed more trouble than any gain.

2Door

Laquer thinner? Please explain.

Lightfoot,
I am repeating info I was told here so I may have to remove my foot from my mouth but:
I was in a local Stihl dealership(long term place) and talking with the owner and a Stihl rep about fuels and the new concern of Ethanol <10%. Converstaion drifted to race saws/jet skis and the use of AV gas in built up 2strokes. I mentioned that I had heard folks talk about it and that I had thought of trying it in my saws. They both brought up the issue of AV gas not mixing with oil... they both said you had to use a solvent such as laquer thinner to break the additives in AV gas down so oil would mix with the fuel. They claimed these additives were present to prevent aviation fuel from becoming contaminated with oil in flight- stalling engines.

2Door

I have never heard of using Laquer thinner in gas, I would think it would be hard on gaskets and seals or any rubber parts. I mix 8 oz. of Mobil One Racing 2t plus 1oz. of stabil per two gallons of gas for all my two cycles. So far I have had no problems with this mix. I also like to add an oz. of Klotz Benol (Castor Bean Oil) to the mix for my Lawn-Boy mowers just for the smell.

I run what the manufacturer says, if it's 50:1 than I mix per instructions, I would believe the oil manufacturer would not be suggesting a 50:1 mix if it was anywhere near the limits of engine failure, I'm sure the 50:1 could be run at a higher ratio yet, I would bet that the saftey net is built into the 50:1 recomendation, I've always ran what ever 2 stroker I had at the suggested ratio's and have never had a failure due to mix, just operator misuse/abuse.:)

The ONLY reason the manufacture suggest 50 to 1 is because of epa emissions. The saws would not pass epa regs at 40 to 1. Everybody in my area has been mixing 40 to 1 for years with less problems than 50 to 1.

Lightfoot,
I am repeating info I was told here so I may have to remove my foot from my mouth but:
I was in a local Stihl dealership(long term place) and talking with the owner and a Stihl rep about fuels and the new concern of Ethanol <10%. Converstaion drifted to race saws/jet skis and the use of AV gas in built up 2strokes. I mentioned that I had heard folks talk about it and that I had thought of trying it in my saws. They both brought up the issue of AV gas not mixing with oil... they both said you had to use a solvent such as laquer thinner to break the additives in AV gas down so oil would mix with the fuel. They claimed these additives were present to prevent aviation fuel from becoming contaminated with oil in flight- stalling engines.

2Door

Hmmmmm...that's a new one to me. I can't imagine how oil and avgas could mix while a plane is operating. In fact I've done the opposite and added avgas to the warm engine oil on the big radials (in this case a DC-3) for cold weather operations. It acted to thin the very thick engine oil to make it easier for the engine to start after sitting all night in the cold. Once started the engines would be operated at idle for a while to allow the avgas to evaporate/burn off. According to the mechanic, this wasn't their first choice but, was permitted when adequate engine pre-heaters were not available.

I've been running Avgas in my 2-stroke equipment for about 4 months now and have had no problems with the oil mix at all. Personally..I'd skip the lacquer thinner. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
Normally I don't repeat info I haven't tried but being as their was a Stihl factory rep involved... I still should not have repeated it. Refresher course in a lesson learned long ago.

I will be sticking to my premium pump gas until it lets me down.

2Door

Mobil 1 Racing 2T @ 41:1

First gallon in the 2.5 gallon can, then 6.25oz. of Mobil 1 Racing 2T (the red stuff) shake add second gallon of gas, shake some more. Comes out to about 41:1 and all my equipment runs fine. I buy the oil by the quart at Autozone and use a clear plastic measuring cup. I do get some weird looks at the gas station, must be the red oil.

I've been told, that the Oil's and Fuels today, are not like what they used to be. Ethanol Gas, and Bio Diesel, and less and less Foscil Fuels, and Sulfur Blends being not like the used to be for Environment Reasons. It doesn't hurt to have a little Added Protection, or Assurances, especially with the Cost of Repairs, or Replacement Equipment, if you can't do your own Repair.
Even the Big Three of Farm Equipment, John Deere, Case/International, and Massey Ferguson, claim that you should use some type of Additive in the Diesel Fuel, and Oils, because of this changes to the Oils, and Fuels.
Bruce.

Bruce, Oils today are not like what they used to be, they're light years better... On the other hand, the fuels are not. Ethanol is a great solvent, better than gasoline, and FYI, even Premium fuels have Ethanol in them (unless otherwise marked). BioDiesel is also a good solvent, but not the same kind as Ethanol. BioDiesel is actually a much better fuel for diesels than petro-Diesel is, because it has a much better lubrication characteristic. The new ULSD sucks at lubricating pumps, even the old LSD isn't as good as Bio, or even USLD/B20 blend.

I'll still mix my fuel at 40:1, but I just had to set the record straight.

Back