Hauling firewood out of the woods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just a quick video of how we haul the firewood out from the woods.
Using an old beat up belarus mtz-80 tractor. The trailer started it's life as a muck spreader but has now been a firewood trailer for many, many years.

Way to much handleing. Cut it and load it in the spreader right then and there. At least it self unloads but should take off the spreader right on the splitter instead of having to pick it up a second time to split.

:D Al

Way to much handleing. Cut it and load it in the spreader right then and there. At least it self unloads but should take off the spreader right on the splitter instead of having to pick it up a second time to split.

But it's a good workout for a big boy like me :D I cut my wood during winter and due to massive amount of snow, there's no way i can get my tractor into the forest during winter months.

That has to be fun & tireing wadeing snow a tractor can't get thru. Maybe look into some tire chains for that thing.

With 80HP it should have plent of power to wade that deep of snow you can walk thru it.

I thought shure you would be useing a big Ski Doo Alpina to get back there.

Growing up a friend's Dad had a Belarus tractor. I don't remember what model, it was 4wd and had a front bucket as well as a backhoe attachment.

I remember the gauges where all in metric so pretty much they were useless to us.

Was not too long ago that I learned that Belarus was not pronounced bell-air-us.

Well Way I see it, Must be a pretty sorry tractor it is easier to walk in to cut fire wood carrying a saw, gas for the saw bar oil for the saw and any thing else that may be needed and the tractor sets back at the home place.

If you check we get 100 days of rain here in Michigan And I believe even Ont. ca get 100 days of rain a year.

Any way I stand by the statement that is a lot of handling.

That’s slick as a minnow’s peter. Unloading the truck is my least favorite job.
My truck will haul four 6ft. tractor buckets. But I will drive the tractor a half mile four times and dump in a pile verses loading the truck and making one trip.

Alleyyooper, we get lots of rain and snow here too. I have 4 wheelers, snow mobiles, Steiner 4x4 and my Kubota for firewood. In the winter lots of times I will just drive partway to the bush with the tractor and walk the rest of the way to just cut trees down and limb them in place. I have several hollows and hills to get to the bush and the snow can be 15 to 20' deep in them. Easier to drive around the block on the road and then drive partway to the bush. One year I had to get wood and it took me 2 days and 2 tanks of diesel to snow blow and blade a path. Got it done and we could a squall overnights and you couldn't tell I had done anything. Ended up burning scrap construction wood from work for 2 weeks. I have chains on front and back of my Kubota so when I do get stuck I'm really in a pickle. I've posted pictures here before of all my stuff stuck in various mud holes and snow banks.
I agree that it's too much hand work but he's getting it done.

Well i don't dissagree with it either but it really is the only way for me to get my firewood done.
Even if i had the biggest tractor in the world, without proper traction it would be useless. There's also an open field that i have to go trough before i get to the forest.
Winds really like to stack the snow up on the fields, so i would have to go trough 40 inches of snow. Not to mention that winters have become unpredictable, there will be days when it melts and that creates a layer of solid ice under the thick snow. You really need a front wheel tractor to deal with excess snow.

I'm using big tractor with a big trailer, i cannot climb on to the trailer, pick up the log and climb down just to put it on to the log splitter.
And i cannot split wood during winter, because it's a small hydraulic splitter with no legs, you would have to sit down on a log to operate it. Not the smartest thing to do during winter months.
But my future plan is to upgrade the log splitter and build legs for it, so i could operate it while standing up.

Pefect scenario would be if i could cut my wood roughly to 3m and then haul it back home and buck it near splitter.
Hauling must still be done in spring but regardless it would still make my life easier.
But in order to do that i would have to build some kinda trailer and a device to actually pull the logs onto it. :(

Edit:
Hauled the last firewood out today, couldn't get there with big tractor so had to use smaller one :)

That's a pretty slick setup with the manure spreader, I hate hand unloading the truck at the end of the day cause I'm usually just physically done...

As for the mud and a 2wd tractor issue, go get a set of tire chains and don't look back!! The traction difference is night and day!! I use them on all my tractors, quads and a few trucks.

I hate thread jacking but I have a thread where it's all about ... Runnin' Loads so feel free to add in what ever you want, I think the only mode of transportation that hasn't been posted is a tank ...

Keep on ... Runnin' Loads !!

Back