hauling wood with garden tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skidders use some pretty huge stuff and wheelies arent so uncommon. long as you set'r down easy not too bad.
The repetitive clutch dumping has to be hard on stuff, I know they're pretty overbuilt machines, but stress is stress!

That's actually fairly clever, I've seen those at tractor shows, if each one held enough for one or two days for your stove, you could maneuver a train of those staged up close to your stove and run it back and forth to the wood pile as needed. Not sure how that would do in the woods though, guess it depends on the route, terrain and durability of the carts.

The problem here really is the arch location
..... well having the arch that far back doesn't help, but the actual problem is the hitch is too heavy for a skidder of that size
If the arch was 2 feet forward right over the axle, the load wouldn't be able to wheelie the machine because the leverage ratio of the fulcrum would be drastically less
if the fairlead was right over the axle you would need 3 ft deep fenders to not catch the tires, which would lead to turning problems, or require the cable to be let out some while pulling which would lower the hitch awfully close to the ground...
most cable skidders have their fairlead close to centered with the rear edge of the rear tires (~2.5-3ft back from the center of the axle)
in the video you posted, I believe those skidders have a hydraulic arch, where you can lower it (similar to a 3 point winch for a tractor) so it will dig in for heavy pulling, which would require the arch to be set back that far so it can move freely... good for winching...but bad for pulling

The repetitive clutch dumping has to be hard on stuff, I know they're pretty overbuilt machines, but stress is stress!
it probably has something similar to a powershift transmission, which most heavy equipment has had for quite a few decades...no clutching between gears or from forward to reverse...only clutching when you want to completely stop moving or just starting out or to "creep" slowly

This is my main wood hauling set up. It is 16HP and a solid hook up with a normal automotive clutch to the transmission.

I really got a kick out of the clutch toque converter thing with the ATV. Like those Lawn tractors or if you prefer Garden Tractors don't have belts.

I have used my Simplicity 6517 (17HP) to haul wood in a 17 cu. ft. lawn cart and it is OK on flat dry ground even when you put tire chains on the loaded tires it likes to spin and if you try to go up any type of grade you don't want the cart full of fire wood cause the belt from the engine to the Hydro will get to slipping. It also will only go so fast.

For hauling a small load fast 45 to 50 MPH nothing like the Polaris 400L AWD. which will pull a load of fire wood across the creek with out getting stuck and the Simplicity or the pacer can't.

I say use what you have and expect limitations and learn to deal with them. Truth be known most here would like to just sit on their a-- and have the wood delivered to them all cut split if it were free.

:D Al

Now if I could have my ideal wood hauling set up it would be a Case 310 wide track and a big custom made wagon I could haul about 10 face cord in. with a self unloader like a insluage wagon.
This would cross the creek and any hills could be paired down to mole hills plus I could bury the stumps and fill in any ruts I made.

search

Now if I could have my ideal wood hauling set up it would be a Case 310 wide track and a big custom made wagon I could haul about 10 face cord in. with a self unloader like a insluage wagon.
This would cross the creek and any hills could be paired down to mole hills plus I could bury the stumps and fill in any ruts I made.
You mean "this" load,

standard.jpg

Isn't big enough??

SR

This is my main wood hauling set up. It is 16HP and a solid hook up with a normal automotive clutch to the transmission.

I really got a kick out of the clutch toque converter thing with the ATV. Like those Lawn tractors or if you prefer Garden Tractors don't have belts.

I have used my Simplicity 6517 (17HP) to haul wood in a 17 cu. ft. lawn cart and it is OK on flat dry ground even when you put tire chains on the loaded tires it likes to spin and if you try to go up any type of grade you don't want the cart full of fire wood cause the belt from the engine to the Hydro will get to slipping. It also will only go so fast.

For hauling a small load fast 45 to 50 MPH nothing like the Polaris 400L AWD. which will pull a load of fire wood across the creek with out getting stuck and the Simplicity or the pacer can't.

I say use what you have and expect limitations and learn to deal with them. Truth be known most here would like to just sit on their a-- and have the wood delivered to them all cut split if it were free.

Had an old Xplorer for a few years, Fun machine. Wife still has a 300, thing will pop on 1 or 2 pulls on the coldest day of the year

if u arent pulling from above the height of the rear then u cant lift the log. youre just dragging it in the dirt and now gonna wreck saw chain and bar back home. dont bother skidding if u dont intend to get them out of the dirt.

the natural layout of a mower prevents good winch location for skidding.. it would be best right in your lap. above and forward of the rear axle like a goose neck ball.

aluminum rear end housings shouldnt be doing this, that ill agree.

I've never skidded firewood. If I can get a skidder to the log, then I can usually tow a wood splitter and a trailer to the log as well. I've skidded a few logs I used for milling, and had problems getting the dirt off the log so I could mill without dulling my chains. Even though the front of the log is up, the rear is still dragging.

I've never skidded firewood. If I can get a skidder to the log, then I can usually tow a wood splitter and a trailer to the log as well. I've skidded a few logs I used for milling, and had problems getting the dirt off the log so I could mill without dulling my chains. Even though the front of the log is up, the rear is still dragging.
Which is why, when ever I can't haul the logs, I skid them still in "tree length".

Then I skid them from the "butt" end, leaving them to skid with the top on the ground, and the top is what is what I cut up for fire wood, so I end up with clean logs, going on the mill.

SR

Anyone using a garden tractor to haul firewood out of the woods? I don't have any woods to cut on my property, most of the land I can cut in is pretty hilly. I have a 4wd garden tractor with ag tires and weight all around. Wondering how well it might do pulling a wagon with rounds through hilly woods. Or a atv style log arch even better. It doesn't have locking differentials nor a lot of articulation in the front axle, it's really best at ground engaging attachments and soft ground or traveling across muddy areas. Aka can't climb logs across the trail... Wondering if it's a waste of time to build an arch to use behind it. The kind that hitches to tractor and picks the whole log up not dragging it in the mud.
Thanks

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Central Boiler CL5036 heating my house, water and 30x40 shop
04 Ram 3500 Cummins QCLB flatbed 4wd
Custom built 4wd Lawn Boy garden tractor with a slew of attachments
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)

Anyone using a garden tractor to haul firewood out of the woods? I don't have any woods to cut on my property, most of the land I can cut in is pretty hilly. I have a 4wd garden tractor with ag tires and weight all around. Wondering how well it might do pulling a wagon with rounds through hilly woods. Or a atv style log arch even better. It doesn't have locking differentials nor a lot of articulation in the front axle, it's really best at ground engaging attachments and soft ground or traveling across muddy areas. Aka can't climb logs across the trail... Wondering if it's a waste of time to build an arch to use behind it. The kind that hitches to tractor and picks the whole log up not dragging it in the mud.
Thanks

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
Jacobsen Turf Cat T422D with Kubota D950 22hp diesel 72" mower soon to be building splitter attachment (13 gpm single stage 4" cylinder)
Thanks

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L

Yes a garden tractor actually works graet for doing fire wood and you would be highly suprized at haw much power one has. A lawn tractor no there's a big difference between the two. I use a late 90s simlicitys sovereign with kowler 18HP motor. Iv been using it to run a small fire wood operation the last year. I made custom tire chains and it eats mud snow and a couple ATVs when it comes to pulling logs. I have a pair of skidding tongs hooked to the back no 3 point hitch but that would be nice to have. It pulls 30 foot 16inch diameter logs and some times a whole tree depending on haw many branches are on them. I'll post pics and maybe a video or two. I live in upstate New York in the high country and we get lots of snow and with the tire chains on it pulling through a foot in a half of snow is about it's limits with bigger stuff after that I half to cut them down a bit. If your gonna use one of these in the woods for pulling stuff tire chains are a must whether you get snow or not. They will pritty much pull anything as long as you get traction. All things said your not gonna run a logging business with one but if your in no big rush and just want to pull out some fire wood for your self or to make a little side money these old garden tractors can be had for $300 to $800 and by all means try for your self. I would look for something like a old JD 316 317 or 318 or cub cadet or simplicity with at least a 12HP but my self would look for one with a V-twin. Hope this sheds some light on this subject and you can hear it from some one with experience.

Thanks

MS360 Pro
MS170
009L
FB_IMG_1554096017248.jpg FB_IMG_1554096056071.jpg FB_IMG_1554096017248.jpg FB_IMG_1554096056071.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1554096144152.jpg
    FB_IMG_1554096144152.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1

I've only run a couple models of skidders, quite a bit of time in a 648D and a bit in a 648GIII. Pulling a bit too much and getting the front in the air isn't anything abnormal. I'd imagine if every pull had the machine up on 2 wheels it'd certainly wouldn't be great for it.
Thing is even well before it's popping wheelies, it's pretty hard to steer.

The new 848L I sat in all joystick control. The seat is on a rotator too so you can spin instead of having to twist to see the back. Here's a short video that shows it pretty decent.

Back