Have an idea for a firewood processor trailer or aka bucking trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what iam trying to figure out. Look on you tube search for log lifts. Sawmills and firewood processor have them sometimes. There's also log arch using a winch.

Seems like you are all over the place with what you want. Do you want a log loader? A dump trailer? A winch arch?

Log splitters have small engines because they use 2 stage pumps. When you are talking about a single stage pump run to 3000psi at any reasonable flow such as 9-10 gpm (function speed), you need horsepower. A 2 stage can be used, but control may be jerky and unpredictable, but could work. Any real heavy work will be sssslow.

Basically you need to design for the loads you expect to lift and work back from there. Cylinder size and pressure rating, desired cycle time, valve size, pump size, hp engine to run your pump. But you have to know what you are designing for first!

You're right! I guess I want to do more then just have a log lift. Would want a hydraulic winch on there to drag logs to it.

One of the biggest issues I see is the following: yes, you can have a whip butt loading arm, winch etc, but it takes something with a LOT of weight to anchor it down. The winch doesn't have to be very big even. But you need to start thinking about outriggers etc if it starts getting crazy.

One of my ideas for a winch was a Cub Cadet lawn lawnmower. Install the frame minus tires and steering. These have a driveshaft to a hydrostat with a differential and a brake on each side. One of the sides of the hydrostat would have just a brake and drive nothing, the other would be attached to a chain reduction drive to the winch drum. When the "drive" brake is on, the power will go to the reduction drive through the differential. The cable can be locked in by engaging the brake on the reduction drive side. Otherwise, with the opposite brake engaged, the hydrostat can power in and power out the cable or both brakes off to freewheel the cable. I have no idea how much reduction would be needed to make the winch power useable for skidding at what point i is just cheaper to buy a winch and add batteries.

The other side of the engine crankshaft (deck belt drive side) will power your pump. 20hp or so would run around 8 gpm single stage pretty well at high pressures.

you'd need at least 3 function control valve, boom up down, stick in and out, and boom rotate. 4 and 5 function would be nice to run a power grapple or outrigger cylinders.

Have you seen the Hudson badger or the wallenstein processor with the hydraulic winch

The new Wallenstein processor has a log lift. Works decent but I have a tractor so I don't use it. 35 horses under the hood. I'm pretty much done with using it this year as I only use it for wood that I'm selling. I have a big pile of splits and haven't sold a stick yet this year. I use my 36" splitter for my own boiler wood.

Attachments

• 20190805_111615.jpg
    20190805_111615.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190722_184847.jpg
    20190722_184847.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190722_175029.jpg
    20190722_175029.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back