Have Any Issues w/Stihl BG86 Blower? Adjustment Problems!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep; I can't lean it out enough. I'm the same way. I've messsed with a lot of carbs, but I just can't get this one where I want it. I gave up a long time ago.

I'm thinking maybe a Muffler Mod may help these pieces of Junk.I did pull the spark screen out of one and took a drill bit and opened up the Nipple that screws into the muffler.It did help that Blower to some extent.May tear one down in a few days and pull the cylinder,delete the base gasket and see if i can uncrimp the muffler and gut it to see what happens.Don't really have anything to loose.
I also have a BG55 junked out that Lunched a BB into the top end.May try and see if the Carb on it will fit.

I'm thinking maybe a Muffler Mod may help these pieces of Junk.I did pull the spark screen out of one and took a drill bit and opened up the Nipple that screws into the muffler.It did help that Blower to some extent.May tear one down in a few days and pull the cylinder,delete the base gasket and see if i can uncrimp the muffler and gut it to see what happens.Don't really have anything to loose.
I also have a BG55 junked out that Lunched a BB into the top end.May try and see if the Carb on it will fit.
They just have stingy lean ass carbs on them EPA is the reason. I bought 3 older ones that had full adjustment jets ,they work fine now. I noticed on the troubled ones the primer bulbs would not fill up with much gas at all when pushed.

10-4
Just got to checking the Stihl Service Manual for the BG56-86.the Manual says to Tune the Carb without the Blower Tube or catcher bag.When i took mine in to see what was wrong with it a couple of years ago they asked me where the tube was.I told them i had forgotten it in the Garage and just grabbed the blower and brought it.They actually had enough nerve to charge me $5 for a tube rental off of another Blower.:wtf:

This sounds off. I have a newer BG-86 and while it takes a bit to warm up it runs extremely well. Until it’s warm the motor is sluggish but warm it runs very hard. This is with no adjustment to the carb and the dealer never touching it. I run TruFuel 50-1 and change the plugs once every 34 - 48 months. I’m skeptical given none of the 4 stihl motors I own ever need anything other than good quality fuel and the occasional plug.

This sounds off. I have a newer BG-86 and while it takes a bit to warm up it runs extremely well. Until it’s warm the motor is sluggish but warm it runs very hard. This is with no adjustment to the carb and the dealer never touching it. I run TruFuel 50-1 and change the plugs once every 34 - 48 months. I’m skeptical given none of the 4 stihl motors I own ever need anything other than good quality fuel and the occasional plug.
Well your like most BG-86 owners who have no problems, it does'nt mean others won't or the advice/testimony is a little 'off'. The more hours they do the closer they are to a component failure of some sort.

From new, these do tend to bog down, especially when cold. To bring the revs up, I always placed a hand partially over the end of the pipe to help the engine build up speed. After a few tank fulls they seem to settle down and can then be fine tuned!

If you stop running pump gas and start running Ethanol-Free gas, 99% of your alleged problems with carbs will go away.
thanks for that... I have an H86c and it appears that the carb is dead. I have been running a mix of pump gas and the store bought canned 2 stroke gas... But it hasnt saved this machine (Which gets used alot). A replacement carb is on the way.
Blessings HAPPY

Back