ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Having problems chipping hawthorn trees

Discussion in 'Large Equipment' started by Ronald Kappes, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Ronald Kappes

Ronald Kappes ArboristSite Lurker

I am clear cutting for a power company and ran into hawthorn thickets. I currently have an eeger beever 290 chipper. It works fine on the trunk until the branches get to feeder wheels. The wheels won't pull them in unless I cut them. Wondering if other chippers have enough power to pull them in.

2. jmester

jmester ArboristSite Operative

I am not that familiar with a 290 but based on pictures I have seen it looks like a disc chipper. If so how does the outside knives look, also what does the lower side of your anvil look like? It should be a nice crisp square corner. The chipping and feeding systems of the chipper work together. Also the feedwheel teeth don't usually bypass themselves so real thin stuff will not be pulled in as efficiently.

3. Ronald Kappes

The problem is the feed wheels aren't strong enough to pull the branches in. I was wandering if other chippers would pull in hawthorn trees. I've been thinking of updating to a different chipper. There are several used chippers within 250 miles of me. The ones I've been wondering about are the brush bandit 250,vermeer BC1500 or the woodsman 12X. The 290 I have is powered by a 74 HP cummins. It has horizontal feeder wheels which don't like doing dead ash branches. They jam up with the little pieces even with trap door open.

4. jmester

Have you checked your pump pressure. A 250 bandit is a great little chipper.

5. mrhemihead

mrhemihead ArboristSite Member

Cannot offer any support on your chipper but a BC1000Xl with a 85hp turbo diesel grinds up Ash debris without effort. A BC1500 should do the job for you.

Confirm that a Vermeer dealer is nearby, if parts and support are required. Bring along the hardest material available, for testing purposes.

6. Ronald Kappes

I have not checked pump pressure. My closest dealer is about 200 miles from me.Do the feed wheels get jammed up easily on the other chippers on ash. Mine does fine on elm and other soft wood. The dead hard wood stops the feed wheels.

7. jmester

Yes my chipper does fine and other chippers I have used in dead hardwood works fine. Is through out the whole limb from the wood to the crotch then the tips it won't pull it in. Do you have an owners manual for it?

8. Ronald Kappes

9. jmester

I would be looking into your hydraulic system. Dull knives will make them feed poorly in hardwoods

10. Ronald Kappes

Thank You for your help.