ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Hazard Pay

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
So, I'm watching this a little while ago
and @ 27 min, into the program he starts a report on hazard pay - specifically, mandatory hazard pay for grocery workers in California.

This makes no sense to me at all - except as a punishment for the businesses for making a profit during the pandemic. Not one person interviewed could justify, to my satisfaction, hazard pay for grocery workers.
LEO's, yes. Medical professionals, yes. First responders, yes.
But raising the hourly wage an extra $3 to $5 per/hr for grocery clerks? No freaking way.

The one woman interviewed, Molly Kinder of the Brookings Institute, actually said, literally, that because these businesses made a profit, and this profit benefited it's stock holders, some of that profit needs to be given to the employees - not because they are in harms way, but just because their employers are making a profit.
Here is her report on the Brookings site:

Several of the stores closed down and terminated all of the employees.

Oh, and I didn't hear the woman say anything about Bill Gates and Bezos profiting on the covid.... I guess they're special. :confused:
Edit: mentioned in the report:
"Amazon and Walmart’s stock prices are up 65% and 41% since the start of the pandemic, adding more than $70 billion to the wealth of Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s CEO, and $45 billion to the Walton family."

MFV

ArboristSite Operative
A lot of this doesn’t make any sense to me. But it sure is a handy tool to change a lot of things in this county that will not do anything but harm all of us in the long run. They could just be like the people I work for and send out a company wide email that said we were all in good shape and we didn’t need to worry about Covid business as usual. I guess in the long run they were right nothing happened.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
From the report
"Sales at his store soared as customers stocked up on groceries. He described the “sheer enormity of the pandemic” and the “fear” he could see in people. Reid vowed to carry on working: “I have been in this business for the last 11 years. I am going to keep getting up in the morning and going to work.”"

Seems to me, this is a temporary jump in sales... people aren't eating more, they are buying more and hording it because of all the fear-mongering. They will continue for as long as they are afraid. As soon as people stop being afraid, their buying habits will go back to normal - which includes watching their pennies, buying less at the grocery store, shopping again at their local retail stores and ordering less online - sales go down the grocery stores, and for Amazon for both merchandise and shipping charges.

And when sales drop, go back to "normal" you can't equally lower your employee's hourly wage to compensate.

TheBrushSlasher

TheBrushSlasher

I have chainsaws and chainsaw accessories.
and @ 27 min, into the program he starts a report on hazard pay - specifically, mandatory hazard pay for grocery workers in California.

This makes no sense to me at all - except as a punishment for the businesses for making a profit during the pandemic. Not one person interviewed could justify, to my satisfaction, hazard pay for grocery workers.
But raising the hourly wage an extra $3 to $5 per/hr for grocery clerks? No freaking way.

The one woman interviewed, Molly Kinder of the Brookings Institute, actually said, literally, that because these businesses made a profit, and this profit benefited it's stock holders, some of that profit needs to be given to the employees - not because they are in harms way, but just because their employers are making a profit.

Oh, and I didn't hear the woman say anything about Bill Gates and Bezos profiting on the covid.... I guess they're special. :confused:
If usfs firefighters can't get Hazard pay during prescribed burns where they still have a chance of getting severely injured or maybe even burned alive why should a grocery store clerk get Hazard pay, I don't get Hazard pay and don't feel like I need it even though I deal raw sewage on a daily basis.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
If usfs firefighters can't get Hazard pay during prescribed burns where they still have a chance of getting severely injured or maybe even burned alive why should a grocery store clerk get Hazard pay, I don't get Hazard pay and don't feel like I need it even though I deal raw sewage on a daily basis.
Exactly.
As a postal employee, we joke sometimes about needing hazard pay (spit on envelopes, heavy packages, obstacles in yards, and dogs...not to mention the astronomical volume of mail), but I'm not serious about it.

Grocery clerks? They wear masks, gloves, are protected by Plexiglas shields and don't have to actually get near or touch a customer... hell, you can't find a single clerk on the floor when you need help.

Looks to me this is a hoax just to raise the minimum wage for entry-level jobs....
From the report:
The disappointing track record of large retail companies in compensating their frontline workers during the pandemic provides demonstrates the limitations of voluntary corporate action, as well as broader public policy failures. At a time of skyrocketing inequality—in COVID-19 mortality rates, income inequality, unemployment, financial insecurity, racial inequity, and the unequal sacrifices of frontline essential work—the richest companies in America can, and should, do far more. When working could mean dying, frontline workers deserve hazard pay for the duration of the pandemic and a permanent raise to a living wage.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie

Edit: mentioned in the report:
"Amazon and Walmart’s stock prices are up 65% and 41% since the start of the pandemic, adding more than $70 billion to the wealth of Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s CEO, and $45 billion to the Walton family."
Uh... lemesee here... its all position (political) posturing? The press, the whiners working at grocery stores, and the SoCal politicians. Long Beach, CA mandated hazard pay in the city, so Kroger (owner of Fred Meyer and other big chain stores) is closing stores in Long Beach (Ralphs and Food 4 Less) there as a result. So now lots of grocery workers are going to lose their jobs as a result, and Long Beach loses two huge grocery stores. People will have to shop someplace else and California will have to pay the laid off workers unemployment. Its the beautiful Kaliphornia future come true.

EVERYONE is exposed to Covid-19. Everyone working in or shopping in those stores. Also everyone on the street. Everyone in school. Everyone everywhere. They should mandate that everyone take massive doses of Vitamin D. THAT would reduce your risk of serious respiratory illness from Covid-19, as well as any other respiratory illness, including the flu, colds, and other corona virus infections. But Vitamin D is cheap, big pharma cannot make any money on it, politicians cannot leverage it, and it would solve the problem. But we simply cannot have that now, can we? No no no no no no no. Me, I take 8,000 units of Vitamin D a day and I use a sun lamp 2x a week. A professional stand up 8 bulb UVB lamp, 45 seconds on a side. I keep my Vitamin D levels above 40ng/mL. The CDC and NIH and other sham medical recommendations are for far lower levels, typically 20ng/mL. And they only recommend a paltry 400 units of Vitamin D a day which will do nothing. They are the ones that should be on trial. But no. As a result 80% of people in the US in winter are severely or moderately Vitamin D deficient. We simply cannot have vitamin D levels high, can we? No! We need people with weakened immune systems! Similarly we cannot use effective ivermectin for Covid-19 cases, even though it has been proven over and over again to be effective. Big Pharma and senators from Michigan are actively and openly fighting against its use. Ivermectin is also available, and it is dirt cheap. No money in that. Also no money for huge grocery store chains if the pandemic goes away either. So shortages of vaccines, low Vitamin D levels, restricted use of drugs that are effective is the answer.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Exactly.
As a postal employee, we joke sometimes about needing hazard pay (spit on envelopes, heavy packages, obstacles in yards, and dogs...not to mention the astronomical volume of mail), but I'm not serious about it.

Grocery clerks? They wear masks, gloves, are protected by Plexiglas shields and don't have to actually get near or touch a customer... hell, you can't find a single clerk on the floor when you need help.

Looks to me this is a hoax just to raise the minimum wage for entry-level jobs....
From the report:
The disappointing track record of large retail companies in compensating their frontline workers during the pandemic provides demonstrates the limitations of voluntary corporate action, as well as broader public policy failures. At a time of skyrocketing inequality—in COVID-19 mortality rates, income inequality, unemployment, financial insecurity, racial inequity, and the unequal sacrifices of frontline essential work—the richest companies in America can, and should, do far more. When working could mean dying, frontline workers deserve hazard pay for the duration of the pandemic and a permanent raise to a living wage.
Yes , the new administration wants a $15 an hour federal minimum wage. Here comes inflation if that happens. We have a $15 minimum wage in place here in Portland. It was supposed to solve everything from homelessness to high rents. So working hours were cut, fewer people per shift cover the same amount of business, prices for everything have been forced up, and basically services have gone to shyte. After this higher wage 'solution' was put in place? Homelessness has gotten worse and rents have continued to climb (now that people are making more money, there is more competition and more people willing to pay more). Henry Ford tried to increase wages way back when they were making Model A cars in Detroit. It was a giant failure. More people making more money just increased the price of everything. But it is a gimmick that gets votes.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA certified abnormality-free.
When I was in the military, Airborne got hazardous-duty pay. I can't recall the exact amount, but I think it was like an extra $100.00 per month.

But, here was the rub. If you were an officer and jumping the same rig, outta the same plane, along with the enlisted grunts, you got twice the pay. How that's for equality? :mad:

Anyways, it wasn't until several years after I left the military, did I hear that the Army "adjusted" the pay. Rather than lower the pay for the officers to the same as the enlisted, they raised the pay so that the enlisted got the same amount as the officers.

TheBrushSlasher

TheBrushSlasher

I have chainsaws and chainsaw accessories.
TimberMcPherson

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
I know a nurse in Michigan who works in a private old people hospital

The company she works for is making hundreds more per patient due to covid.
They are short staffed and most staff have had covid. She got it a month back, 2 days after falling sick she was asked to work the covid ward because as they put it "not like you can catch it again"
They are only paying her an extra dollar an hour due to covid.

Its such a mess

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
I know a nurse in Michigan who works in a private old people hospital

The company she works for is making hundreds more per patient due to covid.
They are short staffed and most staff have had covid. She got it a month back, 2 days after falling sick she was asked to work the covid ward because as they put it "not like you can catch it again"
They are only paying her an extra dollar an hour due to covid.

Its such a mess
Why should she be paid more at all if she’s below 60? 99% of the population recovers from it if below that age group. Does she draw hazard pay while taking care of patients that have flu?

121bravo

121bravo

We all signed up for whatever profession we are in. I don’t see any reason for hazard pay for anyone. Combat pay, confined space pay, shift differential, whatever. Many things are written in on our hire date. They are industrial standards.
Throwing extra bonus’s at people just because things are perceived as suddenly more risky is, like it’s been said, a political tool. Our leaders have always used tragedies to further political motives.
As for the “Covid is a scam” people? Ask your doctor. That’s his job. If you don’t trust him, get a new one. To think that every healthcare professional on the planet is “in on it” is just not logical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
We all signed up for whatever profession we are in. I don’t see any reason for hazard pay for anyone. Combat pay, confined space pay, shift differential, whatever. Many things are written in on our hire date. They are industrial standards.
Throwing extra bonus’s at people just because things are perceived as suddenly more risky is, like it’s been said, a political tool. Our leaders have always used tragedies to further political motives.
As for the “Covid is a scam” people? Ask your doctor. That’s his job. If you don’t trust him, get a new one. To think that every healthcare professional on the planet is “in on it” is just not logical.

No doubt the covid virus is real. It's the details that's debatable.

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King

It’s real alright and so are the recovery rates depending on people’s age brackets. I just don’t see the logic of people in a hurry for a shot that alters their immune system. I have scars from head to toe from welding and airarching. Molten steel being blown by compressed air is going to find a path into your boots, gloves and everywhere in between.Wearing leathers isn’t an end all. It is similar to wearing face diapers. It catches some of the problem but far from all. My pay doesn’t go up because of. The potential of getting burned. Lol Hundreds if not thousands of doctors online are saying the same thing, avoid the experimental compounds currently being passed off as vaccines. They’re not vaccines. They’re saying trust your immune system and give it what it needs to be effective along with recommendations of what those needs are.

121bravo

121bravo

All vaccines alter the immune system. That’s kinda the point. The immune system is just as strong as before, but has one more head-start against one more type of virus.
These are definitely real vaccines.
And internet doctors are usually there because they can’t get real jobs doctoring.
Talk to any practicing MD or DO, in person, and they will all agree that the vaccine is real and needed. They will agree that sanitation and source controls are real and needed.
They will disagree on quarantine length, restrictions in business and movement, and monetary relief.
The science is solid.
The politics never is.