Hazard Tree ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How would a pro go about removing this tree. Its a dead 75’ tall pine that blew over and is now hung up in the neighboring tree.

AECA2E72-5C64-4BC7-9396-B50F69746173.jpeg

I would tie off with a nice long rope as high and safety as i could and pull it down with my truck 90 degrees in the direction it is trying to fall

But don’t listen to me. In no professional [emoji2957]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Probably just box it on the side of the live trees and let it swing in.
Or possible set a block it the live trees, hang it with a porty set at the base, cut lower, cut lower....

I just attack it about the split in the stump. I cut halfway down the cut up from the bottom. Once she pops loose then buck it up.

Btw, the law states in most cases your only responsible to your property line.

I side stepped many a hung up trees in my day. The worst hung up tree I ever had was a tall tree that grew straight up surrounded by many other trees. Of course it fell the wrong direction. In the forest it didn’t matter. It hung up perfectly vertical. About 20” in diameter but straight up. I started cutting four foot sections one to the right, one to the left, I was punching them out like in a cartoon. I didn’t pay attention on what’s coming down. I was blinded by the branches from the other surrounding trees plus the branches from this tree. Through the corner of my eye I seen the top were the vee started, with no were to run I stepped back, shut the saw off and started praying. As the opening in the vee started falling towards me. I said god don’t let it hit me when it bounces. I hope it didn’t twist. I got lucky it fell perfectly flat in a horizontal position. I’m thinking one of my dead relatives was with me on that day.
I was like a gorilla in the woods, unleashed.

Thanks for the replies, I think I’ll just try to pull it out and see how it goes. It obviously wasn’t in great shape when it went over and I’m sure there’s plenty of rot and splits left in the bottom. I’ve got another one I’ll post pics of later. But I can’t see it from my living room so I won’t have to use the pocket knife on the screen.

Make sure the rope is LONG

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Normally when I have to tackle something like this falling timber I’d pick the second tree in, get a good face in depending on lean between 1/3 to 1/2 way deep humboldt so the tree won’t slip back on the stump. Then back cut it don’t back strap it you’ll need to see the top movement, this will unhang the tree well allowing you to get away safely. You could even quarter the fall to the left for a safer exit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back