hd makita 6421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe kool

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i drove and drove and drove cause everyone loves a deal, and i really need another bigger, better, faster etc etc saw on a tight budget..my 10 yo 435 husky is getting tired :(
i go into the store to see the saw with the wrong price on it (marked too high so was a problem) i tell the guy who says no problem how much it should be? i say 5 bucks, he laughs... 237 i say ( really is 257 i think ) anyways i ask him to fire it up, which he had some trouble with, i tell him to put the chain brake back on and he smiles and says no man u need start it with it off, so i take another step backward
he finally starts it after he tried pulling out the decomp with a scredriver and revs it a little and never got it to rev down, he sprayed the trigger with some wd still no luck He tells me come back sat or sunday the tech has to look at it..

is this saw worth going back for??
should i look at a used 441 for 450$ although its a bit over my budget

Love my 6401, trying to get another one or a 6421. Great saw. See if you can have them pull the muffler to look at the piston and ring, it was a rental, you never know what it might have got fed. By the way, I drove 2 hours one way to buy my 6401 from an individual.

i hear ya on the piston peak, i guess i am asking if it is trouble with the trigger mechanism, is it hard to take apart/put back together??

Mine was a HD rental too. Brought it home and fully disassembled...instead of finding wood and oil in all the crevices this one had soil.
They are tough and generally a good buy.
Throttle problem could be a carb spring or faulty trigger etc, not hard to repair.
Maybe go back before the tech looks at it and make them an offer.

unfortunately most rental associates could care less, and seem annoyed that you are bothering them where i am from...of course i will throw a lower offer when i go back, maybe the guy i dealt with was a part timer or whatever and couldn't do anything.
worst nightmare for me would be needing to repair crank seals, never had to hope i never do

unfortunately most rental associates could care less, and seem annoyed that you are bothering them where i am from...of course i will throw a lower offer when i go back, maybe the guy i dealt with was a part timer or whatever and couldn't do anything.
worst nightmare for me would be needing to repair crank seals, never had to hope i never do
Don't worry about the seals, whichever builder you send it to to put a ported 7910 cylinder on can fix that ;).

unfortunately most money goes to real estate taxes here so unless i hit the lottery i doubt it, but i do love hearing how a lot you like to spend your money :chainsaw::envy:

unfortunately most money goes to real estate taxes here so unless i hit the lottery i doubt it, but i do love hearing how a lot you like to spend your money :chainsaw::envy:
I hear that, that's why I bought when things were low and sold our high tax place :).
My question then would be are you playing the lottery, it usually helps if you want to win it lol. I had a gal at the gas station one time tell me "hey buy a lottery ticket, you could be a winner", I thought about that for a second and I replied, "no I'm already a winner, I could be a loser" :yes:.
Yes we like to spend money, and we have no qualms about spending yours either :D.
Just get a couple of these if you do win:lol:.20170408_115506.jpg

I wouldn't be worried about it. No known throttle linkage problem....more likely a throttle cable is out of its cup under the carb or even someone's messed with the idle screw on the carb and it's turned way out.
They are pretty bullet proof saws and easy to work on.
Personally these saws are my favorite!!! On a single platform you can have 64cc to 84cc. When ported these are the only saw you'll probably ever need.

maybe i will go back to snag it then, will use it a long while then go to the bigger piston cylinder poleman....that bar chipper?(86 bucks from walmart 20" Sugihara Light weight guide bar for Husqvarna small mount, .325 pitch, .050" guage)?how ironic!
rather have that stone for my fireplace, although brick is nice. The house i grew up in had a through wall fireplace, that sucker did not get used enough :(

I'd just buy it, there are enough guys to help with whatever problems you have.
The guy who just responded is pretty familiar with them(poleman), and they are great saws that are hard to beat for the price.
The bar is a sugihara, not the cheapest for sure, but they wear well and are a bit lighter than a stock replaceable tip pro bar, besides they look cool lol.
I like the stone myself. That's my pellet stove insert in there and then the wood burner is in the entryway/family room one room over. I mainly use the pellet stove for extra heat when it's real cold for extended periods of time so the wood burner doesn't have to work as hard, and I don't have to haul wood as often.
That sounds like a real neat setup, but I bet it would burn a lot of wood.

i have a hi 300 insert in it cause this house leaks cold air everywhere, it cuts my oil bill about in 1/2 except there is a small 1 room crawl space so i turn the burner on every few hours to circulate/heat up the pipes...really does well for what/where it is except those few below 0 days/weeks... one step at a time i guess with the saw, really can't wait to bury that sucker and blow away a friend with his 460 rancher/24in bar.. i should post a pic of my chain for critique in another thread....

I hear that, that's why I bought when things were low and sold our high tax place :).
My question then would be are you playing the lottery, it usually helps if you want to win it lol. I had a gal at the gas station one time tell me "hey buy a lottery ticket, you could be a winner", I thought about that for a second and I replied, "no I'm already a winner, I could be a loser" :yes:.
Yes we like to spend money, and we have no qualms about spending yours either :D.
Just get a couple of these if you do win:lol:.View attachment 605543
I LIKE THIS COLOR MYSELF ;)

Attachments

• 20170813_122357_resized.jpg
    20170813_122357_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20170813_122405_resized.jpg
    20170813_122405_resized.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 44
i have a hi 300 insert in it cause this house leaks cold air everywhere, it cuts my oil bill about in 1/2 except there is a small 1 room crawl space so i turn the burner on every few hours to circulate/heat up the pipes...really does well for what/where it is except those few below 0 days/weeks... one step at a time i guess with the saw, really can't wait to bury that sucker and blow away a friend with his 460 rancher/24in bar.. i should post a pic of my chain for critique in another thread....
Sounds good Joe.
Yes, get a different chain on it than HD has on it and get the carb set where it should be and I'm sure he will be online looking on how to beat you lol.
He since it's in the chainsaw forum and your the OP (original poster)/it's your thread, feel free to take it wherever you want :).

hmm carb set sounds like my bud's ear again, hope hd did it if they had to play with it...
i doubt he'll try i told him to chuck his safety chain when he first git it 8 mos ago, now he finally did.
wait till my 400 used saw chews thru his 500 new saw/ operator
he's also at a big disadvantage and should really be using a left handed saw
as i warned and told him
my wife is still dealing with the aftermath of the chemo horror story
450 husky in pink
http://prntscr.com/gua2zz

If you can't set it by ear yourself you should get a tach. It's pretty basic and can save you from burning your saw up. Any time the idle goes up or the rpms go up and it's not from your finger on the trigger you should be shutting the saw down as it could be a sign of a problem. Most times it's because the saw is running low on fuel, but if it acts that way when it has plenty of fuel you probably have an issue. Watch some youtube videos and learn to hear your saw 4-stroking. If you can't figure it out on your own then get someone to teach you. Dolmars are pretty easy to hear 4-stroking and a great saw to learn to hear it on. You can ask HD to help show you as well if they know how.
Not sure what happened as far as the left handed deal and the pink husky, but if it's a 450 rancher that's one of my favorite stock plastic cased saws, it would make a great companion saw to the makita :).

Very nice, I don't have a 7900 that's green, but :innocent:.
green hu.. always thought they were blue... but I am old I may be also color blind ?..give ya $ 20 for that hd filter set up :) if you include the mms sticker .. did you notice any improvement in the saw with the filter kit ? thinking of get one myself ...hs supply for $ 50 and change

oh well so i took it home for 260, then noticed the atrocious bar
( i think chipper1 called them to put a nasty one on the saw so i would want that kool lookin one like he has LOL j/k )
there is a new chain on it and they did throw a new other one in as well ---both at least are non vanguard

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/Pro-Lite-Guide-Bar-and-Chain-Combo,-20"/p/109121
would this be correct and most reasonable replacement??
anything better recommended near the 50-70 combo price as an alternative these combo pieces are hard to get locally and i can't wait to try this thing
i will not use a bar that is this bad, not worth the risk

Latest posts

Back