He don't like my smoke,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodie W.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I burn 24-7 all winter with a catalytic burner ( Vermont Castings Intrepid 2) try to keep it over 500 F. I never see the smoke but we sit on the down side of a hill, and my neighbor thinks I need to raise my stack 10 ft. I think the row of 55ft Norway spruce across the backyard is the culprit. Any ideas.

On my 2 year old VC Defiant I keep it at 600 to 750. Around 500 degrees it doesn't burn the smoke off as well. My owners manual says 750 max temp on the top of the stove. From my experience 500 may be a little low even if the operators manual says it is OK. The hotter the fire, the fire itself will burn a lot of the smoke and not overload the catalytic converter.

When my stove gets down to 500 or below the smoke starts having mini explosions in the fire chamber as the smoke builds up and then suddenly ignites due to the catalytic combuster. I have two thermometers so I know the temp is accurate.

Latest posts

Back