Head bolts loose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i just did the p&c on my 038 mag and used a gasket. It wasn’t idling right so I pulled the head and checked the head bolts surprise! They were all four loose. I have some yamabond coming for gasket delete, but my question is, is this normal? The bolts are locking bolts, in tight as hell. I didn’t think loctite was needed or I would have probably put some blue on there. Thoughts?

i just did the p&c on my 038 mag and used a gasket. It wasn’t idling right so I pulled the head and checked the head bolts surprise! They were all four loose. I have some yamabond coming for gasket delete, but my question is, is this normal? The bolts are locking bolts, in tight as hell. I didn’t think loctite was needed or I would have probably put some blue on there. Thoughts?

Check your squish with gasket and with out gasket 20 thou or more is good with out gasket
It never hurts to add some locker to those bolts for peace of mind
Keep in mind if you delete gasket slot the tops of muff holes so the muff bolts lineup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like to put an anchor strap over the top and one on my left ankle. lock tight has never real worked with me.

Yeah I'm going to torque the head again.
I find it common. Silicone on the head bolts is good if the cylinder is slammed with the right compound.

E
I like to put an anchor strap over the top and one on my left ankle. lock tight has never real worked with me.

Yeah I'm going to torque the head again.
I find it common. Silicone on the head bolts is good if the cylinder is slammed with the right compound.
What are you talking about ankle, that doesn’t make any sense?

..."because loctite has never realy worked 'with me"

It makes more sense than my joke of an anchor strap over the cylinder. No?
Engines have predictable behaviors, on the other hand.. so do 'people'.

What torque did you initially set them to?

Seriously though, I have found it common with after factory work.
I always clean the alen heads out with my file end with reg cylinder cleaning maintenance and check them. That's been my experience anway.

Stihl service manual states 6 ft-lb, alternating diagonally, but I just torque them to the 80 in-lb “click” with a torque wrench...
I’ve got a torque wrench the only issue is getting past the fins. I’ve also got a long shank t27 that won’t fit because it’s too fat. Still can’t get how over torquing those could cause a problem, especially with some gobbledygook sealer. I’ll try anything though once, and twice if it works, what I’m doing definitely isn’t. Guess I need to grind down the bit and take a stab at it.

Irwin tool sells 6” long T27 shanks that fit, then a 1/4” six point socket drives the end of it.

Make sure your 4 bolt threads & case hole threads are squeaky clean with a brush & carb cleaner.

Sounds like you undertorqued them initially, not overtorqued. When you use the torque wrench, you’ll think you’re going to strip them out.

Yeah that explains it!
IKD I just like saying that.

*here it goes*

How do you do it Jerry? lol

Ahhh Jamie- Jamie, I torque them til the T27 bit twists off on install, requires an impact gun to remove them....LOL
Follow Randy`s advice I know nothing about saws..

Ahhh Jamie- Jamie, I torque them til the T27 bit twists off on install, requires an impact gun to remove them....LOL
Follow Randy`s advice I know nothing about saws..
Ah..OK
You guys don't mess arround. You know nothing about saws you say? shut-up.
I'm a total hack and I love it. My impact is a big Robertson and my Felling axe.
My torque wrench is a little allen wrench with my bar wrench over the end. I bang off clutches with a bar and bar wrench against the compression . Not very domesticated. I always end up working on the floor.I know a handful of Husqvarna saws I'm good with engine behaviors and vibrations and buying new ones

I try to torque them then put a heat cycle or two through the engine and retorque them if needed. Going out and cutting then rechecking is a good heat cycle.

The cylinder bolts are a higher grade than other bolts on the saw, if you have used the wrong ones they will stretch, they are marked but you need a magnifying glass to read them.

The cylinder bolts are a higher grade than other bolts on the saw, if you have used the wrong ones they will stretch, they are marked but you need a magnifying glass to read them.
I’ll check for stretching and look for that, the stihl man told me that all the case bolts were the same t27’s so I may want to double check on him. He went to his computer, not sure that means anything he may have been looking at YouTube videos or playing World of Warcraft....

Latest posts

Back