Heat for my chainsaw shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So, I got this little shed that I am using for my sharpening, repair. IMG-0293(1).jpg
Ok, so it's gonna get chilly this winter, and I could just about heat it with a couple candles... I was going to use a small infrared propane but there would be a venting issue. I really don't wanna gas myself, so I had a idea....

I recently had to replace my water heater cause it leaks... Hmm the burner still works? I wonder what I could do with that? Maybe whip out the acetylene torch, and reduce it to just the burner and that pipe that goes up the middle of the tank. Hmmm, stand that sucker up in the corner, and hook a vent to it. Maybe weld on a couple fins for heat, the burner worked fine... maybe configure it with a different gas valve. Just thinking out loud here. I could run the thing on less than the full burn it used to do when it was warming water. Should not take a whole lot to warm this little shed...

I know the ideal would be some sort of a small wood stove, but propane is faster. Now I sort of wish I had kept that little pot belly I had... I could build something?

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I nuts (don't answer that)

maybe I will rethink this a bit. I had not really looked at tent stoves, or the like. It would make more sense considering I have a unending supply of little stuff to feed the thing. the boat stove is outta my price range tho... Here the little birdies? Cheap, cheap, cheap. :laugh:

I have thought about doing this with my smaller shed as well. The one issue with a wood stove in a small area with saws is you are one fuel spill away from destruction. I might suggest an electric heater.

I have thought about doing this with my smaller shed as well. The one issue with a wood stove in a small area with saws is you are one fuel spill away from destruction. I might suggest an electric heater.
How big is the shed? Thought about insulating? That would limit heat needs.

I know you're trying to be frugal, but you can catch a Mr. Heater Buddy Heater on sale this time of year for $60-$70, another $20 for an adapter and a hose. Hook it to a 20 pound cylinder outside your shed. It will heat up quickly and keep you nice and toasty, not to mention SAFE.

That’s a valid point.

I‘ve always heard that if the fire ...( heat source or pilot light )...is going before the vapor is introduced then the chance of flash explosion is all but eliminated. I guess the theory is the open flame will consume the fumes before the volume gets too large and ..boom!

A little dribble out of saw tank wouldn’t scare me, a 2’-3’ circle of fuel might get me scrambling.

Oh I know the results of a puddle of fuel and a pilot light. This spring I had a car-b-que in my shop from that very scenario.
The fuel is stored outside of this shed, 6 1/2 feet by 12 feet. Mostly just sharpening chain, and fixing saws. Fuel and SPARKS!!! never mind the wood stove... Little buddy heaters up here work for about 13 minutes. Low ox sensors are a pain at 8000 ft elevation. I really want to do a vented heater anyway, or I have to open a window or two. I might insulate the thing eventually tho!

I think I will create a really small barrel stove out of part of a 20 lb propane cylinder. Say maybe, 12" long.... Vent it with a 4" pipe, and feed it little bitty chunks of splitter litter. I'm making my ideas in my heat at the moment, and have a nice mig welder to work with along with a acetylene torch. Have you ever questioned your decision process when you lay a torch against a propane cylinder? It starts to smell like propane....Egads, what am I doing here? Am I about to blow myself to kingdom come? The propane is long gone, just the stuff that smells is left...

By a cheap generator and run a little electric heater and have power for other stuff.

Cheap generators are too cheap. I have been there, done that.
I have a small generator, for occasional use. There is a larger one that runs the large shop, and a even larger one that runs the welders etc...
My little shack is run off 600W worth of solar panels and over 400ah of batteries. It works good. I have a extension cord to the chainsaw shed, it runs the oregon grinder nicely, radio, lights, and a really small air compressor for blowing things off. Electric heat is outta the question.

solar collector heating fluid, stored in a insulated tank, circulated through baseboard heater by a small electric pump? Pretty involved for a 7 x 10 shed, but it would be pretty slick...I saw a larger version of this system in an off-the-Grid house in North central Colorado several years ago.

But your wood heat idea would be a lot less fiddly to set up and a lot less dependent on sun and less susceptible to inevitable mechanical issues. Just dump the fuel first when the heat is going...

There are some all in one diesel heaters that are vented. Any vent-free heater whether propane or kerosene is going to cause serious condensation(rust) issues on half frozen cold steel. Any flame or ignition source around gas and solvent could get a bit exciting.

Screenshot_20200714-054959_Chrome.jpg

So, I got this little shed that I am using for my sharpening, repair. View attachment 841626
Ok, so it's gonna get chilly this winter, and I could just about heat it with a couple candles... I was going to use a small infrared propane but there would be a venting issue. I really don't wanna gas myself, so I had a idea....

I recently had to replace my water heater cause it leaks... Hmm the burner still works? I wonder what I could do with that? Maybe whip out the acetylene torch, and reduce it to just the burner and that pipe that goes up the middle of the tank. Hmmm, stand that sucker up in the corner, and hook a vent to it. Maybe weld on a couple fins for heat, the burner worked fine... maybe configure it with a different gas valve. Just thinking out loud here. I could run the thing on less than the full burn it used to do when it was warming water. Should not take a whole lot to warm this little shed...

I know the ideal would be some sort of a small wood stove, but propane is faster. Now I sort of wish I had kept that little pot belly I had... I could build something?

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I nuts (don't answer that)
Electric space heater with the little fan in it and I'll tell ya why.
Easy to place/hang and no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning or flames/fires.
Heats quickly with no prep time and can be put on a timer to get the shed warm before going out or turn it on from the house.
Cheap and for the amount to use it, it would cost little.
DONE

Latest posts

Back