Heated Parts Washer Ideas?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airecon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have one of the metal Harbor Freight type 20 gallon parts washers that I use mineral spirits in now. I would like to change over to water base. Some of the heated parts washers get pricey, $1500 plus, so I'm thinking about putting some type of heater on it like this http://www.hotubparts.com/hot-tub-parts-menu/hot-tub-heater-menu/screwplug-flow-thru/ . I thought maybe I could buy the parts at an eletical store and build it cheaper than that. One problem with the element is if you drop a part on it, it could damage it and short out. I'm thinking put the element in a metal tube or cover to protect it. I'm not sure if I can bore a hole through the side of the tub and mount the element without it leaking and then I have to figure out the thermostat. I'm also seeing some flow through heaters ($50), but that might mean another pump. Here's another unit http://www.oileater.com/PartsCleaner.html, but they probably get pricey- there 5gal unit is $285.

Any good "safe" ideas on how to go about this or forget it you'll fry yourself?

You could try an engine block heater. Put a bung in the drum or make an hanger and attach it to the the bottom of the basin. Or even maybe an heat element used in electric water heaters.

Here is one on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kats...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

attachment.php

Great question, i have thought about this myself.

Thought about some old grill propane pipes whit the holes in them, but not sure if that's a good idea.

Standard house type water heater elements are pipe thread, Easy to plumb into a 'tee' etc. However, you should consider a heat exchanger, so the 'gunk' doesnt get baked on the element. The baked on junk will act as insulation initially, and eventually cause the element to stop working.

Catching your drain water in a 5 gallon metal bucket with a 100 watt bulb underneath works pretty well. You just have to plug it in the night before. It won't get hot enough to boil out, but will evaportate slightly. Easy to add more fluid. It won't get hot enough to hurt the pump either. I havent checked the actual temp though.

Believe it or not, I put ground up styrofoam (white bb sized balls) in the bucket and it insulates the liquid. The cleaner falls through the foam, and it seals around the hose. Worked pretty well. about two inches worth.

Good luck.

I actually use a dishwasher, you can get a water based cleaner that is made for heated parts washers from a place like Grainger. You have to jury rig a few things on the dishwsher...but it works great. Get an older one like a jenn-air which was made by Hobart..commercial grade. Works much better than a reg parts washer.

but according to THALL...

I actually use a dishwasher, you can get a water based cleaner that is made for heated parts washers from a place like Grainger. You have to jury rig a few things on the dishwsher...but it works great. Get an older one like a jenn-air which was made by Hobart..commercial grade. Works much better than a reg parts washer.

nothing cleans carbs better than an ultrasonic..

Latest posts

Back